Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which Mount?

Hi,

Could I have your thoughts on the pro's and cons between the Vixen Sphinx SXW GoTo and the HEQ5 Pro SynScan mounts?

I am looking at upgrading from the Sphinx but have no experience with the HEQ5 Pro SynScan mount and I know there are a few users out there. Would it be much of a step up in quality for astro imaging? The Sphinx, I believe doesn't have stepper motors but the HEQ5 Pro does? I think maybe also the HEQ5 can carry a slightly heavier payload? Or should I be aiming for the NEQ6 Pro? That will also be dependant on what funds can be made from the sale of the Sphinx to go towards the next mount.

My main scope is a Tak FS128 on top of which in guide rings will be an ST80. There will be an LPI standalone guider in the ST80 and a StarlightXpress MX716 ccd camera will be used on the Tak possibly with a filterwheel. I'd be really grateful of your thoughts.

Well, the Sphinx was and is an awful lot more expensive than the HEQ5 and in some respects its quality reflects this. However, it has made few friends in imaging, mainly because of the software. I know several people who have simply given up trying with it and switched to other mounts in exasperation. They quite liked it in visual use though and found it good for outreach events with the public. It's a shame Vixen got this mount wrong. Whether or not the latest incarnation is sorted I don't know.

The FS128 (lucky you!) is both heavy and long. The 'long' bit is very critical since a heavy objective a long way from the bearing is demanding. I would not be putting it on an HEQ5. I'd be looking at the NEQ6. I put a TEC140 on an NEQ6 without issue and I imagine that's a similar weight and length to your Tak. You have a fabulous telescope so don't under-mount it, I'd say.

Olly

Hi Simon,

Which refractor do you have?

Are the NEQ6 mounts readily available to purchase or is there a waiting time? The reason I ask is that I had quite a job tracking down an EQ2 to buy recently to use as a grab and go mount. None of the usual outlets had any nor did the factory.

I couldn't think of anything worse than having the funds to go buy one and then can't find anybody to actually sell me one, lol.

Can I also ask for clarification that the NEQ6 is the 'new' name for the older EQ6 Pro?

Andy

Hi Simon,

Which refractor do you have?

Are the NEQ6 mounts readily available to purchase or is there a waiting time? The reason I ask is that I had quite a job tracking down an EQ2 to buy recently to use as a grab and go mount. None of the usual outlets had any nor did the factory.

I couldn't think of anything worse than having the funds to go buy one and then can't find anybody to actually sell me one, lol.

Can I also ask for clarification that the NEQ6 is the 'new' name for the older EQ6 Pro?

Andy

Hi andy i have a meade 127l refractor which is aprox-10kg fully rigged up with cam etc. Purchased mount from FLO a few months ago but have herd there is a back log on skywatcher products, neq6- eq6 pro i believe are the same mount Regards Simon.

Archived