Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Build a power-source - is it safe?

If you don't already have one, get yourself a cheap multimeter, like this one. Put the meter's black probe on the battery's negative terminal and the red probe on the battery positive terminal. You should read something over 12 Volts on the meter.

Keep the black terminal on the battery and move the red one to the centre pin on the car adapters. They should also read 12 Volts.

As long as you've got these readings, you'll get power to the telescope.

I saved money by buying a 7AH 12v sealed lead acid battery, then attached a multiway 12v car adapter which includes a USB output (by cutting off the cigarette lighter plug and attaching it to the battery terminals). I keep this all (sitting fairly snug) in a small plastic box with a handle, with some small holes in the top as these batteries shouldn't be enclosed in an airtight box. I also have a 1AH battery as a standby (kept in the same box).

At some stage I'll fit an in-line 12v fuse as I'm not sure if the adapter has one built in. You can get various amp fuses so I'll calculate my maximum expected current draw and will add a little on top.

This gives me power for far, far longer than the AA power packs that come with Skywatcher goto mounts. It cost me about £20 (I already had the 1AH battery and plastic box) and I recharge it using a solar charger.

Best,

Ian

Archived