First Pic of saturn with the new celestron 127

I was blessed with nice clear skies last night so took the mak out with the xbox cam and managed this image. Stacked from 60seconds of footage (500frames) I couldnt find saturn on the monitor with the 2x barlow so this was without it. I also managed the ring nebula (visual only) and had a satellite flash past!I think it was just afer 23:00, made me jump!

Capture 16_05_2012 22_54_17.bmp

I use sharpcap to capture and registax 6 but to be honest I don't have a clue how to process it properly. I ma enjoying learning though. It took me about half an hour to find saturn on the laptop but I found taking out the star diagnol out and putting the webcam straight in the back helped a lot. Im hoping I can use my barlow with the webcam at some point as the visual images through are very good.

Hi Matt, if you use the search box on here you can have a look at the xbox webcam mod, that's what I used and I got my xbox cam from gamestaion in scunthorpe town centre for 99p!I may at some point look at upgrading the webcam to a better one but im having fun for now.

We have an old one kicking around that i will try to use, if i start it up when i put the telescope out to cool down it might be ready to go by time i get out there :). Are motors needed for planets if you take a lot of short exposure shots and stack them? otherwise i will need to save up for some drives first. Are you in Scunthorpe yourself?

I had an astromaster 130eq and took a few videos of saturn moving across the eyepiece and managed to get a few decent pics without even moving the scope. It is much better to have auto tracking with a webcam as you can get a lot of video without touching the scope. Yep im a scunny lad so unfortunately when they tip the slag at the steel works the sky is a useless orange glow!

That's a very good first attempt.

Focus looks spot on and there's even a hint of Cassini when zoomed!

Thanks Brent, im pleased with especially when you see the low quality original .avi it's from!

...and had a satellite flash past!I think it was just afer 23:00, made me jump!

I was viewing Saturn last night and at 23:31 saw a faint light move across my view i was shocked as i had a 10mm and a 2x Barlow so i loaded up Stellarium and wound back time, turned out to be satellite ERBS 1984-108B which is an earth radiation budget measuring satellite launched from space shuttle Challenger on mission six. It's the one which had to be 'shaken' with the robotic arm in order to get the solar array to extend properly.

Just thought you might like the info :)

I was viewing Saturn last night and at 23:31 saw a faint light move across my view i was shocked as i had a 10mm and a 2x Barlow so i loaded up Stellarium and wound back time, turned out to be satellite ERBS 1984-108B which is an earth radiation budget measuring satellite launched from space shuttle Challenger on mission six. It's the one which had to be 'shaken' with the robotic arm in order to get the solar array to extend properly.

Just thought you might like the info :)

Thanks for the info, it's the first time I have ever seen a satellite through a telescope (moves rather fast!) I didn't realise you could see satellites on stellarium!

And trust me I am no master, just very lucky with this one I really have no clue what im doing!

Archived