Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Maplin 5 in 1 power - charging problem

Hi all,

I know a few of us have these, wonder if I can ask a sanity check please .........

I think when the charging plug is in, if you press the big red button - then the needle going into charging side of the dial. I'm reasonably sure it did this.

However for the past 2 times i've tried to charge it up, the red light comes on, to say charging, but the dial indicator doesn't move (when I press the red button.

I generally put on charge for 24 hours, & then use. It's not been left for weeks without a charge / use (even if it's been for a bit of sun / testing new bits. I have a horrible feeling it's stoped charging.

Anyone please help on this ???

Doesn't sound promising.

Does the needle move when it's not being charged?

Can you get hold of a smart charger (rather than the nasty AC cable that's supplied with it) to try and resurrect it?

No - needle doesn't move at all.

However I have just phoned Maplin, I keep all receipts - just can find this one :)

But fair play to them, they've said it sounds duff, as the transaction was through my bank card, I can show them the transaction, & they'll swap it for a new one.

Stephen - we've got a trickle charger in the garage, which I could try to connect to the croc clips (it's on the bike at the mo). But since Maplin say's they exchange - i'll just do that anyhow. thanks much though.

No - needle doesn't move at all.

However I have just phoned Maplin, I keep all receipts - just can find this one :)

But fair play to them, they've said it sounds duff, as the transaction was through my bank card, I can show them the transaction, & they'll swap it for a new one.

Stephen - we've got a trickle charger in the garage, which I could try to connect to the croc clips (it's on the bike at the mo). But since Maplin say's they exchange - i'll just do that anyhow. thanks much though.

Oh if it's in warranty straight back to the store ;)

In my experience the quality of the meter (it shows the battery voltage) isn't the greatest and the needle can physically stick, so that it won't budge. Try giving it a tap with your finger, near where the needle pivots from.

Definite back to the shop this time.

For future reference.

If you provide a charger that gives out 13.2V to 13.8V, then you will fully charge any 12V lead acid battery. You can leave the charger connected permanently without harming the battery.

If your charger provides more than 13.8V, then you have to unplug it after a time to avoid overcharging the battery.

If you overcharge a lead acid battery the water inside is split into hydrogen and oxygen. Some, but not all, sealed batteries have an internal catalyst to recombine the gases. But even with a catalyst, there are limits to how fast they can recombine.

If the gas pressure builds up inside the battery case, then a safety vent opens and the explosive mixture is vented (hopefully without event) into the air. Not so safe around naked flames or sparks. Hindenburg? However, your battery now has less electrolyte and you will start to notice lower capacitiy and higher internal resistance. There is no way to replace the lost electrolyte.

If the battery is one of those made in the far east for 2p less than the competition, the safety vent may not work very well. In this event the battery might explode and spray the acid gel. If contained within a 'start n charge' or similar kit, then the equipment is wrecked, but the gel hopefully contained within the equipment. With a battery in the open, you can be looking at a new set of clothes, or worse.

In my experience the quality of the meter (it shows the battery voltage) isn't the greatest and the needle can physically stick, so that it won't budge. Try giving it a tap with your finger, near where the needle pivots from.

Yes - tried that one as well - thought it could have been a needle problem, as the light to charge is actually on.

Thanks David, I just don't know - but I don't think the acutal battery is at fault, or it just wouldn't work at all ?!? However for the charge that is in the battery, it does work - just won't charge up.

Archived