Does anyone know if I would be able to view M101 through my celestron 127mak?I've not tried looking at anything but planets and if it's a clear night tonight I fancy trying something different!

Hi Jonny

You couldn't pick a tougher Messier object as your first target.

M101 is notoriously difficult, specially if you have any light pollution. It also has the lowest surface brightness of any Messier object.

I would suggest you try for M81- M82 first then try a few Globs like M13, M92, M3 next.

Face on spiral Galaxies like M51 and M101 are very tricky unless your skies are ink black and free of LP.

Yeah, M101 is really hard, not the best target for the Mak. Try M44, this looks stunning at x50 mag through my 127 mak. M13 is certainly worth a look. The scope splits double stars very well too. I always quite enjoy that.

Another vote for M13, for what it's worth. I tried out my new Celestron 8se on Saturday, and M13 was breathtaking. Nice and bright, so you shouldn't have to mess around with averted viewing and all that. Hope you get clear skies soon.

Archived