Binocular Mounts

Hey guys,

I am new here so I apologize if this is common knowledge. Anyway, I am getting back into star gazing after a 6 year break (I used to go out with my grandfather). I am an astrophysics major and while i have studied the phenomena, I have never really observed. I don't have a real reason why, just haven't. This fall I am taking an observations class as part of my major and I am gonna get a head start at getting back out there.

I just purchased a pair of Orion 15X70 Astronomy Binoculars. I need a good mount, the one I have is a bit too light and can't handle the medium sized binos. I would love to get a parallelogram mount but I need to get a base too and money is definitely a factor. I don't want to spend more than 150-200 for everything. I am about 6 feet so I need a good sized mount. Any suggestions on a good set up would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Braxton

I was thinking either the Garrett Series 3000 Tripod + Pan Head, Zhumell Astronomical Binoculars Tripod, or even the Garrett Series 2000 Grip-Action Monopod. Not sure how stable a monopod is gonna be though...

what about using a parallogram mount on a piller, just need a base plate then otherwise the legs off a proper tripod like the HEQ5 (i would image the vixen HAL would work as well) even a eq2 with some ball barins or foam inside to make more stable would work too

I'm 6ft and find it ok unless it is directly above me in which case the angle the binoculars are at is too steep to be comfortable anyway. For those things a use my garden recliner with my elbows on the arm rests :)

Hi Braxton, I would second Paul's suggestion of the 8115 Tripod here. There are a lot of reasonably priced sturdy tripods out there but when you look at the specifications, most of them do not extend anywhere high enough. In addition, the pan and tilt style camera heads in truth don't go back far enough to see anything near the zenith which is a shame given that is where the atmosphere is thinnest. I notice within your question you don't indicate a possible budget because around the $600 budget there are plenty of very good (tall) tripods that we would be than good enough to support your binos. When you have a moment, you might want to have a look at this website for some alternative ideas which includes Gaz's idea of a parallelogram mounts here which are sold by Universal Astronomics in the U.S. In addition there are some alternative mounting ideas here too which you might like to consider as well.

Hope that helps,

James

Thank you all for your quick replies.

JamesM - my budget is 250 or less.

Pajr777 - The Horizon 8115 looks good, but I have only found it in the UK. Shipping to the US would be too much.

garethmob - Ideally I would like to get a Parallelogram mount, however they are quite expensive. I found an Orion setup that comes with the tripod but it is not a hinge type (by that I mean the binoculars look down the shaft of the parallelogram rather than perpendicular to it).

Have a look at the horizon 8115 tripod, well within your budget :)

The 8115 is a great tripod that wont break the bank. It is VERY sturdy and extends to a very nice height even for tall people. iT WILL easily take the weight of 15x70 bins.

I cant say i have looked for it on US sites but i'm sure you can find it.

Hi, just had a look on a U.S astro site and found information on this tripod which in the pictures has the larger binos attached. Or you might like to read about this one as well as it is round about your price range. Hope that helps.

James

I've recently replaced the plastic mount adapter that came with my Revelation 15x70's with a metal one and I found it made a massive difference to stability. I use a video tripod (no makers name on it - was given to me by a relative having a clear out) with a Manfrotto ball head on top.

If you are still interested in the parallelogram mount I believe the Orion Telescope and binocular stockists do one " The Paragon-Plus Binocular Mount " and I think it just may be within your budget :)

John.

• 5 months later...

Hi Braxton

Can I ask you where did you get your Orion 15x70 astronomy binos? I've been looking for them in the UK but no one seem to sell it here. They only sell it in USA but they don't ship internationally.

Please give the details of your seller. I really want those binos.

Many Thanks

Archived