Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Barlow + 10mm EP or single 6.3mm EP?

Dazzyd

Hi all

Got a bit of a question, recently bought a Skywatcher Explorer 150PL with stock 25mm, 10mm EPs and a 2x Barlow. Yes the stock EPs aren't going to be as good as purchased individual EPs but I'd love opinions on whether I should stick with the EP + Barlow combination for a while until I've become more used to the scope and observing in general, or get something like a 6.3mm Plossl to use on its own. Will there be much of a difference in image quality? Does the introduction of additional lenses (the Barlow) start to reduce quality of viewing?

It all seems academic right now with the rubbish weather though LOL. Soon, I keep telling myself, there WILL be clear skies LOL

Hey Daz. The 10mm that comes supplied is not great to be honest. Add to that a budget barlow and things can start to get messy. I would recommend something like this to replace the stock 10mm...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-25-8mm-BST-Explorer-Dual-ED-eyepiece-Branded-Starguider-/160793578070?pt=UK_Telescope_Eyepieces&hash=item25700b4a56#ht_4029wt_1255

The step up in optical quality will be very apparent from the stock 10mm

Another even cheaper but excellent option would be these...http://www.firstlightoptics.com/vixen-eyepieces/vixen-npl-eyepieces.html

Eye relief will be tighter and the fov will be smaller but by all accounts optically they are very sharp.

For my kids' scope I got a cheap 6.3mm Plossl (so I do not have a fit when they drop it :clouds2:), and it works quite well in my 80mm F/6, and even in their F/4.4 114mm mini-Dob. I would certainly prefer that to the combination of a cheap 10mm and a cheap barlow. The only real problem is the microscopic eye relief of the 6.3mm Plossl. The BST explorers get a good press, have wider field of view, and I think more eye relief.

Archived