Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mechanical Remote for 'bulb' on Film Cameras

Ever the one to try new ideas, I have a cunning plan.

I am about to try some very long exposure ( 3 hour + ) star trail captures on film. I will be taking the camera (or several) to a remote spot and leaving them there till the morning. I will be using inexpensive manual cameras so i am not bothered if it rains or they get attacked by wild beasts.

The problem will be closing the shutter after 3 hours on the bulb setting as I will not be there. Is there anything available commercially for this or will I have to retreat to the shed and conjure something up ?

I do not want to use any camera with an electronic shutter so the programmable jobbies are out of the question.

Paul

I had one on my Pentax it screwed into the shutter button and poked something down middle and then it had a screw to keep it there. What camera is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that ;) but I have plenty of remote releases. What I am after is a mechanism that will release the shutter after 3 hours as I will not be there with the camera.

Paul

My apologies PB lol I'm rarer tired and hungry (my first made stew is coking down now as we speek for dumplings)

What about a clockwork something? Is there any clockwork remotes for manual camera?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solved the problem.

I have found that the EOS 10 has an ingenious feature that means it does not use battery power up when used on 'bulb'

I can combine this with an inexpensive TC80-N3 programmable remote.

Paul

thats pretty cool ;) would you place the remote in a waterproof sealed box?

Hi Gaz

I'm thinking of using a simple ABS box to house both the camera and remote, mounted on a ground spike with a pan and tilt head on it. I can paint the box camouflage so the wee beasties will leave it alone.

I am amazed at the low price of non collectable film cameras. My estimate is that I can buy the EOS10 / remote / box / paint etc for less than £50.00 ( the price of a reasonable EP ) and Poundland are selling Kodak 200ASA print film for £1.00 a roll.

Paul

are they? i can see me going to poundland later today to get some!

thanks paul

I am going to stock up on them at that price . It was Poundland as opposed to the other bargain store Poundsavers and the expiry on them is 02/14. Whether they are any good for star trails remains to be seen.

Paul

Just in case anyone is reading this the TC-80N3 is NOT compatible with the EOS10

It can be used with the EOS-3, 1V HS, 1V, 1D, 1D Mark II, 1Ds, 1Ds Mark III, 5D, 5D Mark II, 7D, 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, D30, D60 and D2000 cameras.

Whoops :clouds2:

Still just bought a EOS10 for £9.00 with postage !

Paul

Archived