Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Time to Clean secondary mirror?

Since the secondary gets more fosused light, shouldn't it be cleaned at the same time you clean the primary? There appears to be about the same amount of dust on it. Also when changing eyepieces you or your friends spittle can find it way down on the secondary. There's a small spot that could be this. Could this effect the viewing quality of my 10'' f4.7? Pat

The secondary gets far fewer dust and detritus deposits on it just by virtue of it's position. I'd say theres more risk of saliva landing on the primary than the secondary. Unless you're seeing the small spot in your view, I wouldn't worry.

Since the secondary gets more fosused light, shouldn't it be cleaned at the same time you clean the primary? Pat

If I'm cleaning the primary I normally do the secondary too.

It doesn't always need it as it tends to stay a little cleaner than the primary. But if cleaning one...why not?

The rocket like blower has no effect. The primary really doesn't need to be cleaned at this time. I had been told that some dust doesn't hurt. Its the secondary am more concerned about. Pat

Archived