NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bogged down by numbers!!!

NJM

I have read the Sticky note about choosing a CCD camera, and while I have to agree it is very well written by an obviously knowledgeable person...........it went way over my head!!!

I would just like to know what to consider or avoid for my particular set up which is - Celestron 11" STC (2800mm FL) and a 2x Baader VIP barlow and 4x Televue Powermate.

My main targets are Lunar and Planetary and I had my eye on either the DMK21AU618 or the new QHY IMG132e.........until I read about CCD's being too small or large and different pixel sizes with effects either or both would have for long FL scopes!!!

IS there a camera out there that will give good sharp images of the Moon and Planets using the above mentioned equipment? - and are there ones to avoid?

Or am I stuck with CCD / Pixel size trade off?

Thanks for any input!

Nigel

Hi

The choosing a CCD Camera threads seems to be mainly geared for DSO imaging, which is rather different from planetary imaging.

For planetary imaging you basically want as many pictures as possible over a short period of time (depends on the planets rotation), find the ones where the seeing is good, and stack those. There are programs for this (registax and more). Remember that the point is to beat the seeing here, in DSO imaging you just have to live with it, due to the long exposure times.

The DMK21AU618 is commonly used in planetary imaging, and I don't see any problems with that. In fact the combination of that camera and the C11 scope seems fairly common among planetary imagers. Remember that the camera is monochrome, so you'll need a filter wheel along with filters for each colour, and the whole stacking process becomes a bit more complicated.

I'm a bit unsure if the barlows will be needed, but I think some use a 2x when the seeing is good. But it adds some complexity and focussing become more tricky, so I'd suggest starting without the barlow. A C11 should still give some nicely sized planets without.

I don't really know a lot about moon imaging, but it is my impression that people usually go for bigger chips with higher resolution at the expense of frames per second, e.g.,, DMK/DFK 31/41 cameraes. If you get a 21 series, you could go for craters, but the entire moon would require a mosaic of a mind-numbing amount of shots.

Anyhow, you probably want do a bit more reading on the topic before deciding on anything. Cheers.

/Henrik

Thanks for that Henrik - food for thought!!!

I've got my head around some of it - taking AVI's instead of single shot, planet rotation etc etc and the fact that I would need to use filters with mono (making Jupiter even more demanding!!) it is just the make, format, CCD / pixel size of camera to choose for my targets of Moon and Planets.

Glad to see you saying the DMK21AU618 is a good choice too.

Thanks again, time to do some more research!!

Nigel

Thanks for that Henrik - food for thought!!!

I've got my head around some of it - taking AVI's instead of single shot, planet rotation etc etc and the fact that I would need to use filters with mono (making Jupiter even more demanding!!) it is just the make, format, CCD / pixel size of camera to choose for my targets of Moon and Planets.

Thanks again, time to do some more research!! Nigel

Nigel - if your primary targets are moon /planets then you could a lot worse for starters than play with an Asdacam mod running SharpCap s/ware for <£5 @ wpo - my Asda webcam conversion whilst you ponder the big spend :hello2:

Thanks for that Nytecam - Actually, a fellow astronomer living quite close to me has very graciously lent me a Philips SPC 900 modded webcam to try out!! That was over 2 weeks ago and I haven't had a single night yet where I could use it!!!

I have heard that you can get some very acceptable images with these webcams, but ultimately I want to get a dedicated piece of kit that is purpose built for the job! I have spent a dollop of cash to get started with this hobby so I don't want to get something that may be the weak link in and expensive set up

Cheers for the sound advice though - appreciated!! And you never know, when I eventually do get the chance to use this webcam, I may be very pleasantly surprised!!

For Luna / Planetary

1) DMK21AU618

2) 1.25" Filterwheel

3) Baader LRGB

4) IR Pass Filter (which is best is beyond my knowledge to be honest)

Not cheap but thats probably the serious entry point.

Thanks for that Earl - more or less what I had in mind!!! I have just purchased a filter wheel from Astor buy and Sell. I want one for observing anyway to see the planet detail better. The Baader LRGB are around £200 yet they do a set of RGB for only £73. I know you get what you pay for, but what is the difference to make the cost so wide apart?

Also, if I got the DBK camera (colour without the IR cut) then I could save on the filters and the hassle of trying to get Jupiter before it rotates etc

Is there a big difference in quality (Same price) or contrast or sharpness of a colour camera over a mono for planets and moon?

Im not sure on the exact difference between the filter sets if you drop FLO a message they will be able to give you the right answer :hello2:

Mono will give the best results, but requires the most work, although Colour imaging also needs plenty of work to.

Thanks for that Earl - more or less what I had in mind!!! I have just purchased a filter wheel from Astor buy and Sell. I want one for observing anyway to see the planet detail better. The Baader LRGB are around £200 yet they do a set of RGB for only £73. I know you get what you pay for, but what is the difference to make the cost so wide apart?

There is a big difference in price due to the manufacture process and the types/quality of coatings used. Now it's got distinct advantages when imaging DSO's but I'm not sure if all that is necessary when imaging planets and you may well get away with the lesser priced set, I'm also pretty sure the cheaper set isn't UV/IR blocking.Well worth dropping FLO a query as has already been suggested.

Thanks guys - I dropped FLO an email as you suggested and got a great reply. And, he bore out what you said Simon.....the expensive set is more for DSO's and the £73 set would be ideal for planetary work

Cheers

Thanks guys - I dropped FLO an email as you suggested and got a great reply. And, he bore out what you said Simon.....the expensive set is more for DSO's and the £73 set would be ideal for planetary work

Cheers

Nice one, saved you a bit of cash then. But I think you'll still need to UV/IR filter at the camera end. Get a filter that screws onto the nosepiece :hello2:

Archived