Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Camera news - Samsung and Canon

iwatkins

Hi All,

First off, Samsung NX210 and NX1000 have just announced. Both mirrorless cameras with interchangeable lenses and both running full APS-C sensors.

Why do I bring these up? Possible astro usage. As there is no mirror, front plate to sensor distance is shorter, so getting focus at prime focus will be easier on some telescopes. Oh and no mirror shake.

Secondly, big sensor. And has useful range of ROI selection for stills and video.

Thirdly, it works over WiFi, I.e. a remote viewfinder including controls. Can also work tethered via WiFi to a PC. Could be very useful.

And finally, the weight. Just over 200g.

Looks great :(

More interesting is that Canon have just had a patent granted on a lens. This lens is designed for use on a mirrorless, APS-C, camera. Now Canon don't make such a camera, and have even said publicly in the past that they wouldn't, but looks like one is coming. I would guess September's Photokina would be a launch time.

That could be even more interesting. DSLR performance in a mirrorless, light body. Plus would probably have DIGIC5 chips so excellent noise control. Perfect astro camera I hope. We shall see. :D

Cheers

Ian

That's interesting :D I'm surprised we haven't seen mirror-less DSLRs already. They have live view already. I have a Panasonic video camera that has both display screen and viewfinder run from the main image sensor. Mirrors and pentaprisms are old hat! They go back to the 1960s or earlier. For ordinary photography I find a viewfinder very useful, particularly in bright sunlight (what's that I hear you say :(). And a swivel screen useful for those low level wildlife shots. If they can do it on relatively cheap camcorders then why not still cameras? I would have thought the electronics and optics for a live view eye-level viewfinder would have been cheaper than all the mechanical mechanism for the flip mirror and the pentaprism. And mechanical things wear out too.

Archived