Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ5 vs. CG5

Andrew*

Now I know these aren't the same kettle of fish, but in my wanted thread (AUK) for an HEQ5 someone offered a new CG5 GOTO for £350.

could someone tell me in terms of load capacity how these compare with an 8" newt on top?

Don't hit me! :(

Andrew

Andrew, they'll both take an 8" standing on their heads, no problems. But that's not really the point. I'm sure you know the pros and cons of each mount, and £350 is a little steep even if it is brand new they're only £425 from FLO. I nearly bought a brand new in the box CG5 for my sister from a SGL member for less than £300 a few weeks back...

Tony..

Apart from the noise issue (CG=Coffee Grinder) I would say the Cg would be okay for 90% of your needs.The last 10% being long exposure Astro Photography.

I can only comment on the research i did about a year ago when the Cg was more expensive to today as i was comparing it to a Heq5 Pro.

I went for the Pro and as very pleased with it.Saying that now the Cg would be tempting because of the price.

I would personally go for a new one though as the differance between the s/hand one you have been offered and a new one from Flo (minus discount) is only a few pounds and you get the warrenty/backup.

If you asked me which was better back in 2004 i would have said the HEQ5 without doubt. But not so sure now. I agonised yesterday over the CG5 and HEQ5. What swung it for me was the thing i really miss from my setup......GOTO! I think it's a must have option from a light polluted sky, especially when you get so little observing time. No longer have the skies or the time to flaff with star hopping. And i doubted i'll ever be able to afford the Skyscan upgrade again.

So the CG5 GT got the nod.

Russ

Steve

If you had stayed in Wales at Sgl3 on the Saturday night Tony had his CG5 going.It did sound louder that everything else there.I think its to do with the gears/motors.

I dont think it effects the accuracy,its just the waking up of the neighbours :(

Steve, if you want we could get together and I'll give you a demo! Or you could wait 'till Kelling...

I think the noise issue is down to a combination of noisy motors and Celestron using not very well designed plastic casing for the said motors without any baffling which makes the problem worse. Still, it works a treat for the money.......

Tony..

Archived