Alternative Uses for Modded Webcams

JamesF

My first foray into modding webcams involved opening one up to remove the IR filter behind the lens, but instead of fitting a nosepiece for AP use I replaced the IR filter with a small square of developed camera film taken from a piece where the negative was fully black. I then reassembled the camera.

What you end up with is a camera that doesn't respond to visible light at all, but only to the near IR. Unfortunately it doesn't work as a thermal imaging camera because the wavelengths are wrong, but it's interesting to look at other objects. It works best when the sky is bright so there's plenty of IR bouncing around. Paper money looks very different under IR, and whilst it's too dull today to work at all well I discovered that the camera could "see" through a full bottle of coke. I might have to get a few IR-emitting LEDs and set the camera up at night to see if I can pick up any of the local wildlife wandering about the garden.

I'll try to remember to post some pictures when the sun next comes out.

James

My first foray into modding webcams involved opening one up to remove the IR filter behind the lens, but instead of fitting a nosepiece for AP use I replaced the IR filter with a small square of developed camera film taken from a piece where the negative was fully black. I then reassembled the camera.....

I'll try to remember to post some pictures when the sun next comes out. James

Nice one James - my try from awhile back @

:)

Archived