NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Suggested Viewing on 8" Newt

ribuck

Hi All,

I've just ordered my Explorer 200P on a shiny HEQ5 Pro and have also ordered UHC-S & Neodymium filters, as i kind of went a little mad on the order process.

Soom i'm looking for some advice on some good targets to view and which filter to use on them as i dont really know which filter is used for what....lol. I guess the Noedymium is a general pollution filter which will be good for galaxies and i should use the UHC-S for nebulas.

So any suggestions for initial targets to try and view would be greatly appreciated.

You could do a sky tour with Skyscan and let it choose the objects for you.

As for the filters:

UHC-S works specifically with emission nebula, there's a good list here with nice pics:

http://www.noao.edu/image_gallery/emission_nebulae.html

Noedymium is an all purpose filter. Works well in light polluted areas by darkening the background sky to boost contrast. Not as effective as a dedicated filter like the UHC-S or an OIII. But overall more useful. It's cuts very little light and you can basically leave it in place for all targets. It's best known for enhancing views of Mars and Jupiter. And also works wonders on shorter deepsky images.

Russ

I'd agree with Rus' suggestion of the 'Sky Tour' - did this on my first night with my C6, and had an awesome night - so many things to see!

Make sure you spend enough time with each one to fully appreciate the details though! :(

Chris

Archived