NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar viewing and expectations

Hi all

I don't feel like i'm getting enough use from my scope especially in the summer because an early sleeper.

Decided the next thing i'd like to try is viewing the Sun but i have seen several different images of what the Sun looks like through a scope. Some of the images are of a white disc, some of a yellow disc and others with more detail like this image.

So wanted to know what should i expect to see through my 200p Dob and what else other than the Baader astrosolar film ND5.0 i will need to get the best views close to the one in the picture or is this not possible with the scope i have.

post-31683-13387776708_thumb.jpg

the image you posted is of a Ha image, you can only get these if you use a specilised Ha solar scope like a coronado PST or a lunt

heres a white light image, its not mine but its really good its been slightly coloured i think too this is what a baader film sort of will look like (imaging you use nd3.8 for visual you use nd5

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-solar/186473-white-light-23-04-12-a.html

My image in the link posted above is ND5, it just means I have a slightly longer shutter speed on the DSLR. I tried with my SPC900 but I couldn't get it to focus, but that might just be me not getting the settings right in sharpcap.

new to solar imaging myself huggy and asked the very same question.

H-Alpha gives stunning views but for cost, it is expensive around £350 -£550 for a specialized telescope ( conorado) these see in the H-alpha range.

slightly cheaper and not by much is a Calcium K line filter, this gives that blue'ish intense look with all the eyecandy like a H-alpha.

the cheapest method is White light. over in the solar imaging section check out bizzibuilda's shots (sp), these are taken in white light and given some astrojazzle in photoshop and the likes.

for someone starting out i would say go with some astro film to learn the basics of viewing and imaging. a green filter will help bring out more contrast ( let you see more'ish ) but will never give you the expensive filtered eyecandy. but will help make things stand out a little.

getting graining is a little harder and requires fine tuning of your cameras settings ( i run a 350D canon dslr and a cheapy webcam), then onto learning how to tweek with photoshop and the likes.

Archived