Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Spate of new Delos EPs

I just spotted that the TV Delos range jumped from 3 (6, 10, and 17.3 mm) to a full spectrum:

3.5, 4.5, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, and 17.3 mm

Details here: Tele Vue Optics: Delos

Interesting line-up against the Pentax XWs at 3.5, 5, 7, 10, 14, 20 and 30.

I am gunning for an XW 7, which would see more use than a 6mm (which I can construct with 12mm Nagler and 2x TeleXtender).

Clearly Televue is VERY interested in Pentax's 70deg market.

It would be sad to see Pentax go, but it's probably only a matter of time.

When that happens, Televue is going to have a monopoly at the top end of the market and that can't be a good thing.

I would be the first to admit that I like all things Televue but I would not pay the extra £40-50 over the price of the Pentax XW for the Delos. Its just my opinion of course but I feel the XW, at least in the shorter focal lengths, are about as close to perfection as it gets!

Bear in mind that those prices differ from country to country. While the Delos is pricier than the XW's in the UK, it's the other way around in, say, Germany. And not by a small margin - the German astro shop I tend to use have the Delos at about 70€ cheaper than the XW's. Considering they're both premium quality at pretty similar specs, the only factors on which to get would be the availability of a specific focal length and where I'm buying it from :D

Bear in mind that those prices differ from country to country. While the Delos is pricier than the XW's in the UK, it's the other way around in, say, Germany. And not by a small margin - the German astro shop I tend to use have the Delos at about 70€ cheaper than the XW's. Considering they're both premium quality at pretty similar specs, the only factors on which to get would be the availability of a specific focal length and where I'm buying it from :D

Good point, I assumed the Delos was more expensive across the board :)

I would be the first to admit that I like all things Televue but I would not pay the extra £40-50 over the price of the Pentax XW for the Delos. Its just my opinion of course but I feel the XW, at least in the shorter focal lengths, are about as close to perfection as it gets!

It makes a change for Tele Vue to be chasing some competition - normally it's the other way around :)

Archived