Baader Fringe Killer

My telescope is an Evostar 120 refractor & from my back garden I have a fair amount of light pollution to contend with. As the scope is an achromatic refractor, would I see any real benefits if I bought a Baader Fringe Killer 1.25" filter?

I already have the SW Moon Filter & SW Light Pollution filters, but looking at how to upgrade & improve. I am planning to purchase the Baader Neodymium Moon & Skyglow Filter 1.25" & possibly the Fringe Killer 1.25" to replace the SW brands.

Advice on if this would be benefical or not would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

Milton Keynes

Andy, I think the first question is, are you suffering from an intrusive amount of CA in your views ? It sounds like you may be. The Fringe Killer will remove a large amount of it, but at a cost... the view becomes tinted yellow. You may find a Semi-APO filter more preferable... the CA is improved, but the view is far more naturally coloured. I use a Semi-APO filter with my ST80.

At this point, you don't have a filter that's the equivalent to a CA reducer, so it's not really a replacement. I use the SW LPR filter for imaging with, it's pretty good.

One should not expect miracles? With an ST102 (ergo more "false colour"), I eagerly rushed out to buy a Baader "fringe killer" and a "contrast booster". The (personal) "jury is still out" on the subject? Sometimes I just grin & bear the chromatic aberration. The filter effects are interesting, but not definitive. Nice to have 'em (especially the latter) if you're feeling flush? :D

Good to hear your opinions for sure, and bearing in the mind cost of these filters it's shame there isn't a a "try before you buy" option available.

I think I may wait a bit and stick with the Skywatcher Moon & LP filters for a while longer.

Cheers. Andy

I never bother with using my fringe killer. I've found that the CA is less intrusive than the colour tinting when using the filter. It might have some value in teasing out subtle planetary detail on the edge of visibility, but don't expect a significant improvement in view quality.

I agree with many that these filters are not in themselves a silver bullet that can magically correct optical aberrations. Having said that, I do find the Baader Neodymium Light Pollution filter does help improve the contrast when viewing planets such as jupiter or Saturn and so for me, I would say it makes a difference. Is it worth the money (2" £85) - Hmmmm, well every little helps but it wouldn't keep you awake at night with excitement!:D

James

I have used the fringe killer and the semi apo filter. The fringe killer will reduce CA, no doubt about, but that is reduce, not kill. Fringe killers also turn your targets a yellow straw colour. Semi apo filters don't do this, they do however cost an extra £20 an for this it reduced the slight CA in the TAL RS100 I used to own and produced terrible, terrible light scatter, far worse than in any in a Newton I ever saw, and thats some statement to make.

Some good advise & thank you for that.

I think I may get the Baader Neodymium Moon & Skyglow Filter 1.25" as this filter seesm to get some really positive reviews.

I am undecided on if I should get the Baader Semi APO or Contrast Booster as at £100 seems a lot.

No bad thing to checkout the PDF links (filter transmission curves) from: Filters

Frankly, I think (even) Baader have a tendancy to "blind with science" re. such things! I sense they have found a few "good" basic RECIPES for filter coatings, and then ring the changes among (combine) them. :)

No bad thing, to play about with, ultimately... :D

Archived