Advice setting up 200P/EQ5 at Observing Site

Hi All,

I have had my new 200P/EQ5 for a few weeks now but havn't taken it in the car to my dark site yet, maybe I will tonight to look at Saturn. I have been doing AP with a camera and Vixen Mini-Mount for many years but this is the first proper scope I have owned so I am feeling my way at the moment, my new kit seems big and intimidating. If some of you would be so kind I could do with some advice on the best way to set up when I get to my observing site.

Am I right in thinking that this is a good routine? Have I forgotten something?

Setup tripod

attach mount to tripod

attach and adjust tripod spreader plate

Hook up electrical power to mount

Polar align mount

Install counterweights

Install dovetail bar and tube rings

Mount tube on tube rings

(attach guidescope and guidescope camera)

Attach camera/web cam at focus tube

Balance system

Start imaging session

My dual axis drive motors are still on order so I only have an RA motor at the moment (my old Vixen one fitted). I havn't got around to mounting my guidescope yet either. I am sure my checklist is going to get a lot longer as I get to grips with my new kit but it's a start.

Thanks,

Pete.

I have already thought of another line to add, "level the head" before polar alignment.

Setup tripod

attach mount to tripod

Level head using the bubble

Polar align mount

Install counterweights

Mount tube on tube rings

Balance system

Start imaging session

Please feel free to copy, paste and edit the above.

Pete.

Collimate added, thanks Jeremy.

Setup tripod

attach mount to tripod

Level head using the bubble

Polar align mount

Install counterweights

Mount tube on tube rings

Balance system

Collimate

Start imaging session

I would put the counter weight on before attaching the tube, with a leg facing North the weight will be hanging over this leg, with out the weights the tube will be hanging over the 2 rear legs, a little puff of wind and it will be on the ground...

I would only add that when I go to dark sites, I try and set up the first five steps on your list when it is dusk so that you can see what your doing safely without the need for a torch and to allow you plenty of time to organise your kit. I also find setting up at this time very relaxing as the "bells and smells" of the countryside begin to fade, so too does the stress and strains of a busy day, as you now begin to participate in an activity that you enjoy doing.

James

Nothing like going out there and doing it a few times. Maybe just take short trips somewhere nearby. Soon you will develop a routine and feel comfortable. Remember that you're going to have to get all you gear into the car and not forget anything. So make a list of everything you'll need: charts, power source, red torch, etc.

I keep most of my stuff in three boxes and they are always put into the spot in the car each time. Every item has its spot in the car so that I can see immediately if something's missing. Nonetheless, there was one occasion when I got to the dark site with no finder (left the Telrad at home). That was a real waste of time...

I made it to my observing site last night for the first time with the new kit and no disasters. A beautiful night, if I was a real amateur astronomer I would have been out all night instead of packing up at midnight BST. I saw a few meteors that seemed to be coming from the same radiant somewhere in the northeast. I took web cam videos of Mars, Venus and Saturn and a few unguided DSLR exposures as a test.

The procedure seemed to work but I accept the advice that it would be better to polar align after attaching all the mass items. Last night was the first time I have polar aligned using adjuster screws and it seems to work very easily, with my old Vixen I had to use a photographic 3-way tripod head which was a little awkward. I polar aligned last night before attaching all the stuff so next time I'll try it after.

Has anybody got any advice about levelling the EQ5 tripod. I have been extending the legs to their full extent and then adjusting individual leg lengths to get the head bubble level. I was also wondering if the spreader plate/accessory tray is supposed to clamp against all three legs, in my case it only ever seems to touch one leg.

Thanks for your help,

Pete.

The only thing to be mindful of when using the EQ adjustment bolts is they can bend easily. I try to support the weight of the scope when making adjustments.

The spreader plate should touch all three legs and push them out a little.

As for putting stuff in the car, yes I agree, it does take some organising. I have a Ford Focus Estate and last night it was full, no room for a passenger. I do take a lot of stuff which is not essential but which I might need so I try and put all that at the back and have the things I will be using close at hand. I have to have a checklist to stop me forgetting anything, the last time I forgot something it was balance weights which meant packing up and going home.

Thanks Mr Spock. My EQ5 was secondhand, the previous user had presumably already bent the bolts because they had been replaced with plain hex head screws and the plate that the north side screw passes through is cracked halfway through. It is a job for the summer to fix.

Archived