Image analyis - home grown

I'd quite like to do a bit of basic image analysis on my astro-images, tiff files mainly.

I have in mind things like intensity cross sections, applying different gamma functions, background subtractions etc. I even have in mind to experiment with some noise smoothing procedures.

This sounds like going back to writing some code to me, which I used to do years and years ago so I'm not a complete novice. Though there may be an application to do this sort of thing now. Something like MatLab possibly?

However, things have moved on from QuickBasic and Fortran days.

Any suggestions where on earth to start anyone?

GIMP, the open source photoshop replacement program has (I understand) plugin capability - it might be easiest to use the underlying capabilities of the program and then write plugins for the image analayis routines you are interested in on top of that?

It would also make it easier to share them with others :D

You might want to have a look at Image J - ImageJ

Its opensource and Java, so you can look at all the source code, and develop your own extensions and plugins.

Having said that, you might find that it does the things you want to do already.

Callum

Sounds like IRIS again.

Command list:

http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/us/iris/reference/commands_iris_v5.58.pdf

look for:

Info

Stat

sub (and variants)

add (and variants)

there are various noise reduction routines.. all extremely controllable.

The trick is to drive it from the command line rather than the menus.

Program

Iris software

Cost: Free

have fun

Derek

Archived