Mars Through a 200p and 10mm EP

Mars is on it's 'boring side' at present in the evening (from the UK). In a couple of days or so the more prominent features should be visible. When observing keep looking and moving your eye over the disk as sometimes the atmosphere might steady briefly and let you see something. Personally I find v. high magnification on my 8.7 inch to be the best ie around X 230 so a 6mm sounds about right for an 8inch.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for these posts Jeremy1 - have the same setup and am saving up for a new lens or two as I'm pretty sure I've got enough brightness to handle something with more mag that the 10mm.

By the way, noticed there was a Mrs Jeremy1 signed in an viewing threads on the site! Better get the hoover out sharpish!

8mm on an F/10 SCT = 4mm on an F/5 Newt.

I sometimes go to 7mm on my C8, or even 6 (12mm Nagler with 2x TeleXtender), but only on really good nights.

Mars takes time. Your eyes need to adjust to its fairly high surface brightness. An 8" scope should be able to see details on good nights.

See that's why i come here. To learn stuff like this.

Archived