Best scope....got it down to a couple

Hi All.

I've probably done this backwards, but I bought a camera first, now want to do some Astrophotography and want a telescope. I've always been into astronomy. I have 3 inch reflector in the loft, form my childhood....but its about 25 years old and in a poor state. I used to take photos with a shoebox attached to the lens, with 35mm film at the back of the box, with little rollers to move the film...haha. Worked to some extent...Unfortunately I lost the photos in a fire years back.

Anyway, I bought a DSLR recently and had a few shots with the the lenses that came with it (see below). I now want a telescope.

I am more interested in planets and the more obvious DSOs, but I also have an interest in capturing meteors, star trails, the moon etc. And most of all, the reason I got the camera was to capture Aurora (since I stay in North Scotland).....not that a telescope is ideal for them, of course. I don't have the funds to go hardcore and get a big scope for DSOs....and that leads to the next thing you need to know about. I stay just outside the city, so there is a reasonable amount of light pollution. I can jump in the car in be in the middle of nowhere in literally 5 minutes, but will probably end up doing most pics form home. So I don't want to spend a lot of money

So based on limited budget, some light pollution (I guess that limits my exposure lengths), and SLR...so need a half decent motorised mount....

I always start basic, and work up, so I don't mind getting a "entry level" scope, trying it for a while, then selling and upgrading later. I don't want to spend a fortune on a good scope and find I don't use it to its best abilities etc.

So, I've probably sent you to sleep by now, so here are the two scopes I am set on (hopefully order tomorrow to get it by the weekend)

I know these are covered elsewhere on this site etc, but as a direct comparison ,

1) which is best and more importantly,

2) which is best for attaching a kind of heavy DSLR (and it has to be able to focus properly without lens etc). So many reviews are conflicting ..e.g I've read the SW is great for connecting a camera, but other reviews say it can't handle the weight on the mount.

3) Also is a dual or single drive better for photography. I reckon I'll probably do shortish exposures and then stack them.

And finally is there a better one you can recommend, new for around £200 based on my needs.

Apologies if this is more suited to other sections, as it covers setups, scopes, camera etc, but thought it would go in here as my first post. Feel free to move elsewhere

Thanks in advance

eidt: oops, I forgot to link the scopes...

Astromaster 130EQ

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CELESTRON-ASTROMASTER-130EQ-MOTOR-ASTRONOMICAL-TELESCOPE-/220921275824?pt=UK_Photography_Telescopes&hash=item336fef25b0

and

Skywatcher explorer 130M EQ2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skywatcher-Explorer-Newtonian-Reflector-Telescope/dp/B004N0J66M/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_2_2

552206_10150655178869077_600619076_9642932_1978535340_n.jpg

405000_10150682027459077_600619076_9749365_255251648_n.jpg

oops ...my first star trail was out o focus...hasn't been clear to repeat since!

536182_10150655441459077_600619076_9643664_1003329440_n.jpg

Of those two I would get the Skywatcher (cheaper here). At some point, no matter what you say, someone will tell you to buy a Dob lol. I would stay away from the Astromaster as there are a lot of people had them here who regretted buying them. At that price it is waaaaay to much money too.

I don't think either of those scopes will handle a DSLR, the mounts are not up to it I'm affraid.

Thanks for the quick reply. Always good to her about good and bad experiences. Again, I am not going to be a pro, just want some nice pics for my facebook etc. I am planning to move house in next year or two, away from the city, so might upgrade then if its required. So in the meantime, if it works and the tracking is Ok for up to a few minutes exposures, then I will be happy.....not to mention only getting about 3 nights a year where there's no cloud lol (actually I live in the driest part of the country so there's a lot of clear nights here)

I'll search around a bit more for a mount that can take the DSLR.

cheers

I am also not sure whether the focuser can handle the weight either. For planetary imaging a webcam is possibly better and would be usable with those scopes too.

I also now hate you already as I think I live in the wetest, at least it seems that way lately lol.

I am also not sure whether the focuser can handle the weight either. For planetary imaging a webcam is possibly better and would be usable with those scopes too.

I also now hate you already as I think I live in the wetest, at least it seems that way lately lol.

haha, but saying driest part of Scotland, its probably still "blumming wet" compared to other parts of UK :)

I definitely would not hang a DSLR off the back / side of an Astromaster. To be honest a converted web cam is probably better for taking planetary / lunar images than a DSLR. Much lighter too.

If you want to do imaging, you need to get the priority right. You need to think about the mount first before you consider the telescope. The two scopes you linked will not be any good for what you want to do.

As an absolute minimum, you will need an EQ5 class mount with RA motor. Since you budget is £200, you will need to buy used (£150 used).

For planets, you will want to get a Skymax 90 (£90 used). Stay visual for now and get a webcam when you have the money. DSLR sensors are too big for imaging planets.

What about DSO? You should used your camera lens. The EQ5 is not that accurate and mechanical error will show up if you use a telescope.

Just to give you an idea, a basic entry level DSO imaging kit cost around £1.5k. HEQ5 (mount £750)+ED80(imaging optics (£400)+ST80 (guide scope £100) + QHY5(guide cam £180)+mounting accessories (£70). You will need to make compromise if you want to do it with your current budget.

Thanks again everyone. I am glad I asked before I bought a scope! Ok, so a good motorised mount (EQ5) with the DSLR and a lens, wide(ish)field for DSOs, a webcam and half decent scope for moon and planets?

I really cant spend 4 figures for some photos (not yet anyway, unless i get hooked), but I do want to get images of say, saturn etc. I'd love a good pic or two of a nebula, or M31 or the like...maybe widefield with stacking?

Right....change of plan, so as a general "kind of beginner" scope.....will the Starwatcher 130 be good enough for general visual astronomy, or should I hold out for a 150 (silly question...but based on light pollution and cost would the 130 be good enough for "most things")

Sorry for all the questions..its a bit of a minefield for a noob....also I am impatient and want to do it now lol....(maybe should wait till its autumn winter again).

I will maybe go for a basic motorised mount first, just for catching Aurora without star trails (small lens, wide field, longish exposures), as this should be the best year for aurora. Will a basic single drive EQ2 or 3 be OK for this?

Archived