orion xt8 with Intelliscope

hi

Just researching some options for my first scope and one of them is the Orion xt8i which is an 8in reflector on a Dobsonian mount with Intelliscope. The Intelliscope is a push to system that once aligned manually with 2 bright stars has a database of about 4000 objects and can let you know when you've pushed the scope manually to the right position. There are no motors, no automatic tracking and the computer bit runs off a 9v battery. The computer can be switched off and the scope can be used totally manually which I would like to be able to do or the computer can be used to locate objects.

My question applies to all dobs though and is about how easy it is to track objects manually as they move across the field of view. Are there any other hints and tips to get the best out of a dob?

Cheers

Hi and welcome to SGL

I've not used the Intelliscope but it seems to be a good choice of scope. By design Dobsonians are very easy to use and tracking is just a matter of nudging the scope in the direction of the object to keep it in view. The lower the mag, the longer the object is in view. Accessories to make Dob use easier include the Wixey angle gauge, and the right-angled correct-image (RACI) finderscope. Smartphone astronomy apps serve the same purpose as the intelliscope system, as does Turn Left At Orion (4th ed).

I hope this helps and good luck with your scope.

Hi and welcome to SGL

Accessories to make Dob use easier include the Wixey angle gauge, and the right-angled correct-image (RACI) finderscope

Thanks, I thought the whole point of the dob was supposed to be smooth movements and I didn't see a single adverse comment in my research, but nobody mentioned it either.

The Wixey angle gauge sounds brilliant. Would that be the WR300?

I think the xt8i comes with a raci finderscope - this link is to the one I'm looking at:

Orion SkyQuest XT8 IntelliScope. - SCS Astro

Am I right in thinking that your skyliner is a dob?

Cheers

I think the Intelliscope system replaces the need for a Wixey when it's fitted to the Orion (USA) dobsonians.

A reticule type finder like the Telrad is an indispensable aid to finding your way around the sky although a "push to" system like the Intelliscope one may well render it largely redundant.

I`ve had my 10" intelliscope dob since 2005 and it has proved to be excellent. Just plonk it on the ground, align with two stars and you are off. I have found it to be very accurate when finding objects.

Yes, you do have to keep nudging it to keep the object centered, this is more apparent with higher magnifications. The bearings on the Orion are very good giving the user a smooth movement. Also the alt bearing is adjustable to compensate the balance when using different weights of eyepieces etc. Using ultra wide angle eyepieces can help to reduce the amount of nudging. Like most things it`s a trade off. A dob is a super simple method which needs a little bit of observer input.

If high mag planetary observing is your thing a driven mount would be more ideal, otherwise, dob`s can be a great way to explore the many DSO`s that are out there.

Using ultra wide angle eyepieces can help to reduce the amount of nudging

Not that I'm going to rush out and buy stuff until I've settled down with it, but could you give me some examples of what does work with the dob please?

I'm sure I've picked up that it isn't all about magnifying everything to the max it's about creating an image that can be comprehended.

Thanks so far to all you dob users for your experiences with using the dob.

I've found ultra-wide eyepieces like the Skywatcher Nirvana's / William Optics UWANS (they are the same eyepieces) and Tele Vue Nagler's and Ethos work excellently - I use manual tracking too. There is a cost involved though - the Nirvana's start at £135 each, Naglers at around £260 and the Ethos, just don't ask !.

When you want good wide and ultra-wide eyepieces it's easy to spend as much as the scope on a small set.

On the other hand, it's quite possible to track the scope with normal field of view eyepieces - you just need to concentrate a little more.

Thanks, I thought the whole point of the dob was supposed to be smooth movements and I didn't see a single adverse comment in my research, but nobody mentioned it either.

The Wixey angle gauge sounds brilliant. Would that be the WR300?

I think the xt8i comes with a raci finderscope - this link is to the one I'm looking at:

Orion SkyQuest XT8 IntelliScope. - SCS Astro

Am I right in thinking that your skyliner is a dob?

Cheers

Hi

Yup, the skyliner is a dob scope and the orion finderscope is a RACI type. Not sure about the wixey but the WR300 sounds about right.

The accessories I mentioned are aimed at basic dob models, as yours comes with the intelliscope system you shouldn't need any of them for your setup as the tech does the same work.

The movement of the dob should be smooth and easy although some bases can stick until they have been used a few times.

HTH!

I don't know if the intelliscope bit provides feedback of where the scope is pointing to in terms of declination, right ascension or whatever units...

Also, do you normally move the dob complete or take the tube off the mount and then reunite them?

I have a windbreak that I've been using and I thought I would just put a groundsheet down on the grass with something down to provide a level surface for the dob. I'm hoping to be able to use the scope sitting down.

Also, I'm not sure about pointing directly upwards or nearly upwards for the plough and dso in that direction. Does the dob cope with this?

Also, is the orion xt8 flexible about which eye is used?

cheers

Hi

The computer part of the system should know where it is in relation to time and date. I'm assuming there is a basic alignment procedure as per goto scopes to fix a starting position in the system, it will then measure angles and distances between objects, compare it against its own internal starmap, and fix on a chosen object by prompting the user to move the scope in a given direction until those angles and distances match.

The tube and base separate for transportation and I can get both parts of the skyliner into the back of a Rover 25. Viewing at the zenith shouldn't be a problem as the dob has tension handles either side of the base where it meets the tube. This is also the best way to store the scope when not in use as it sits in a cupboard or corner under a towel, sheet or dedicated scope coat. Set up and take down time is 5 minutes not including cool down time which will be 30-60 mins depending on ambient temp.

Finally, the dob isn't fussed which eye you use.

HTH!

I have this telescope, but the 'classic' model without the computer part.

It's certainly surprised me with the amount one can see!

Take-down and set-up aren't a problem. You can store the OTA in a carry bag, which you may want to buy with it.

I deliberately bought the scope without the computer as I only want to use such aids when I already know the sky. Plus I have found a great joy in finding things for myself using charts, guides and astronomy software.

Tracking isn't a problem for me. You will quickly get used to moving the scope the right way. As it's a mirror image you have to kind of pretend you're clicking and dragging the sky about on a computer screen.

I certainly agree with using wide angle eyepieces to maximise time between moves of the dob though! Even though I have a decent 10mm Plossl I soon got an 11mm Nagler which makes life a lot easier!

The only problem I have had with this scope is paint flecks from the front end of the OTA falling down to the primary when the scope end-cap is taken on and off. I've put some 'elephant tape' around the end to prevent this, but will eventually flock the inside of the scope and sort it properly.

Also check the base regularly. As you're constantly turning the scope clockwise to follow objects in the sky you'll find it tightens up!

Have fun choosing your scope

Thanks for some very helpful and thought provoking replies. Has anyone used the 2 inch eyepiece and accessories option or do you stick with the 1.25 inch accessories?

wowee a quick check on the Tele Vue Nagler 11mm shows £265 but obviously worth every penny if it improves the view!

I sense there are some mighty expensive mistakes to be made without good advice.

Thanks

wowee a quick check on the Tele Vue Nagler 11mm shows £265 but obviously worth every penny if it improves the view!

Even if I had paid that, the views would still be worth it! :)

As it is, the bay and 'UK Astronomy Buy And Sell' have both been pretty handy!

I have two Naglers now, and paid £100 under the 'new' price for each.

I'm simply not bothering with brand new EPs for now. I plan to build up a range just buy watching the 2nd hand market and getting what I need as it comes up...

....I'm simply not bothering with brand new EPs for now. I plan to build up a range just buy watching the 2nd hand market and getting what I need as it comes up...

Thats a smart move :)

Buy a decent condition used eyepiece and it can usually be sold again for more or less what you paid if you decide it's not for you. The top brands always sell as long as they are priced realistically.

For years I used the standard supplied E.P`s with my dob (10mm and 25mm) . I was lucky enough to purchase a 20mm Nagler and a Meade 8.8 UWA and the difference they made was worth the high expense.

The Nagler does a brilliant job at revealing faint galaxies and the Meade really gets onto those smaller Globulars and Planetaries.

BTW the Nagler is a 2" fit. Plus I also have a budget 32mm E.P. which is 2" as well.

Archived