first time nooby

Hello there and thanks for taking the time to read this firstly my name is jack I'm 20 from Nottingham (uk) just bought my first telescope yesterday ( celestron 114LCM) just wondering as I have never really done this but always been very interested in stargazing best possible sites, groups to go with around my area and what's the best recommended object to see through my telescope once again thanks for reading. Jack from Nottinghan

Hi Jack, and welcome to SGL. There are a number of prominent objects that can be seen in the sky at the moment. Venus is the most obvious and brightest object mainly in the west, you can use this to help Sky Align (!). Should look like a half moon through your telescope. Look also for Orion and look below his belt for the sword, about half way down is the Great Orion Nebula (M42/43), a large gaseous cloud, but use your low power ep (25mm?). The Pleiades, or Seven Sisters (M45) should also be visable in the early evening, up in the west in Taurus, a magnificent open star cluster, looks like an upside down hedgehog when you first spot it. So three objects to start with on a clear night, hope this helps and good luck with your new telescope, let us know how you get on!

Jack, I'd recommend downloading Stellarium (Stellarium), which is extremely valuable in illustrating what to observe, where and when.

Also, maybe consider the Turn Left at Orion book, which gives you over 100 objects to view in a small telescope throughout the year, and sets your expectations of how the object will look through a telescope ie. don't expect anywhere near Hubble-quality views!

Enjoy!

Iv read up a little they did say don't expect any kind of quality to that degree from pictures people have uploaded the nearest planets still can look stunning through my type of telescope it seems I have been tweeking waround with my telescope and I'm starting to make headway but I guess its a big learning process with the eyepieces with certain objects ect. ?

Yep, it can be a big learning process, but I've had my first scope for just under a year and I've learned loads in that time. It helps with the learning if you're doing something you love though! :)

It's best to just get stuck in see what you learn from observing yourself with your existing eyepieces, along with the resources I've mentioned above, plus this forum, and do a search for any astronomical societies near you.

Hi Jackies and welcome to the forum. Some good advice above for your consideration and it really is about going out there and as Hermit has said, getting stuck in. Please keep your questions coming as there is a lot of experience on here that is willing to share it with you. Don't forget the "stickies" that are the beginning of the sections, along with the search button at the top of the page which is great for searching past questions and answers. Look forward to chatting with you in the rest of the forum.

Clear skies for now

James

Archived