Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Bits For ST80

Had a good week this past week, it makes a refreshing change to get some quality astro gear and not have to pay silly prices. I added to my 4 BST eps with....

Tal x2 Barlow

Revelation 1.25" Quartz diagonal

SkyWatcher electric focuser

Can't wait to try it all out. :)

Andy

Hi,

I bought mine originally as a guide scope for my Tak FS128 and I decided to use it also as my grab n go scope. I bought the EQ2 mount to put it on but I had trouble balancing the short tube. Also, on the EQ2 the scope rings attach straight to the mount so there isn't enough movement in the short tube to balance it properly. I bought a universal female dove tail block and bolted it to the top of the mount and a dovetail plate to mount the scope on. I can now slide the entire scope forwards and backwards to achieve balance.

My ST80 is the blue version,holds 1.25" eyepieces, I believe there is a 2" version now available also. Mine shows very little chromatic abberation, even when it is present it is very minor and not intrusive enough to interfere with the views. I get lovely sharp images of the lunar surface. I have the stock focusing unit on it but recently bought the SkyWatcher electric focuser which works very smoothly. I've not had a chance to try the BST eyepieces yet but the reason I got them was after reading the reviews on here and of course the great price. This is also the case with the TAL Barlow. The only drawback I find is that because it is a fast scope at F4 the background sky can look a little grey instead of black. My Tak is F8 and the background is inky black, so I do find the F4 views more of a concern than the CA as I'm not used to seeing either. But this set up is just a plonk it down and have a look and enjoy the views. I wasted a lot of time trying to do DSO imaging, some successful some unsuccessful but it was so involved I started to lose sight of how much I loved this hobby and I even stopped doing it for a few years. By doing this with the ST80 I have rekindled my passion for the hobby and can't wait to 'get out there' again.

Have to admit that given the choice between the ST80 and ST102, I'd go for the 102. There's nothing hideously wrong with the ST80 for what it is. It was my first scope and I enjoyed using it, but it does make you work pretty hard for those fainter Messier objects. I found myself really wishing for a bit more aperture even on fairly good nights.

James

Archived