Lens cleaning

Always take care when cleaning an object lens as they are coated for better light transmission and to get rid of reflected light and these coating are only very thin and can be wiped off easily through over zealous cleaning. I always use a blower brush that I still have from my camera days which usually disperse dust and 'bits' fairly well. If you use this method make sure the brush doesn't touch the lens surface as all sorts of stuff, especially grease from fingers etc manages to get onto the surfaces.

Another no-no, is don't try to blow it off with your breath because all you will do is coat the lens with exhaled moisture from your lungs and airway.

If the bits are inside then you really need it taken apart by an expert for cleaning.

You might want to consider this cleaning agent as a means of moving dirt form your objective lens. You might also want to watch

video which will take you through the correct process. Although the video concerns a different scope to yours, the principles are the same. Hope that helps.

Clear skies

James

The Baader wonder cleaning fluid and micro fiber cloth should do the trick, have word with FLO as you are going to have to take out the objective to clean it, but on the other hand small particles if on the inside will make little or no differences as you should not be able to see small specks when you put an ep into the scope for visual use :D

John.

Chris

are the details of the Baader Wonder Fluid and the description states that the cloth is similar to what you describe but it is finer weave. I have used this product and for the modest price is certainly worth having in your tool kit to clean other glass items like eyepieces and optical finders etc. It is possible to make up an identical lens cleaner yourself with the assistance of a local independent chemist (if you can find one) as the ingredients are freely available. I would certainly recommend it.

Clear skies

James

They do a fine weave microfibre 'glass' cloth that we have some of in the house. I bought them for the DSLR so I would imagine it's very similar if not the same.

I think I'll get some of the wonder fluid though JBM, you're right it's probably worth having.

The Baader stuff is the best I have found for objective lenses and corrector plates - it is amazing at leaving no streaks. The cloth is great too and saves the trouble of hunting everywhere and wasting money on lesser products.

Canned air has a habit of spraying moisture at times, depending on how it is kept, really not recommended. Fine cleaning cloths are available from a well known spectacle outlet " should have gone to ....... " pop in and say you lost yours they will, no doubt, willingly give you another, but it is not as good as the Baader cloth.

John.

Archived