Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I wonder how many other people are doing the same thing as me right now....

manofscience

Having waited on the celestron boat to dock, a lot of people must be doing the same thing and setting up their scopes and looking at the cloud cover. Sorry about that!:D

Cant wait to get cracking...set everything up, I knew I shouldve bought a solar filter at the same time to stop me getting bored for the sun to go down!

522937_379704805408304_100001063644871_1231732_467705571_n.jpg

If your planned session is clouded out start planning all the new eye pieces, dew shields, Telrads, hard cases, filters and other accessories you will be needing :D:(

Enjoy your new 'scope!

Funny you should say that - Ive already ordered a eyepiece set but there is a shortage on these also.

Now, webcams...that'll be next.

Im currently trying to get it to work with stellarium to kill some time!:)

Peli cases come in a great variety of sizes but are expensive. I got a Peli-alike from Maplins recently, nicely holds my eye pieces, Telrad, cheshire, head torch, collimation tools and large silica reusable gel sachet, comes with pre-cut 'pick and pluck' foam, very pleased with it for £40.

High Impact Case (Large) : Flight & Rugged Cases : Maplin Electronics

Funny you should say that - Ive already ordered a eyepiece set but there is a shortage on these also.

Now, webcams...that'll be next.

Im currently trying to get it to work with stellarium to kill some time!:D

Have you considered a zoom eyepiece?

Peli cases come in a great variety of sizes but are expensive. I got a Peli-alike from Maplins recently, nicely holds my eye pieces, Telrad, cheshire, head torch, collimation tools and large silica reusable gel sachet, comes with pre-cut 'pick and pluck' foam, very pleased with it for £40.

High Impact Case (Large) : Flight & Rugged Cases : Maplin Electronics

Cheer will take a look

Actually no I haven't -Id just seen so many rave reviews of the revelation as a nice way to upgrade a starter scope easily. And it's got a lot of things for me to play with so I can get used to different pieces and filters and the barlow etc.

Ive already got a shopping list as long as my arm! Im going to have to look into them now!

Is it wrong to already want to upgrade?! It hasnt even seen first light yet. I was thinking a SW 300p on a HEQ-5 pro mount would compliment it nicely. :(

An extremely costly habit it forming :D

....SW 300p on a HEQ-5 pro mount would compliment it nicely. :)

An extremely costly habit it forming :(

Certainly is. A 300P needs at least an EQ6 mount so there is some more outlay there and then you will want some great eyepieces to enable the 300P to show what it can do so allow £200 or so each for those ........ it's all one big slippery slope :D

No it's not wrong at all!

I soon questioned my decision to go with an old school Soviet tank of a scope on a manual mount. No GOTO because I wanted to learn the stars, not suitable for serious camera work because I wanted to get really experienced with visual before going down that road - but I just have to remind myself of my reasoning and I still think I made the right decision based on my criteria.

Bottom line is no 'scope will do it all - you just have to decide what you want from it and what compromises are acceptable given your budget etc etc - much like many of the decisions we all have to make in life!

Hi james... your 'scope' is the same as mine bought at Xmas. Have had some great views with it, but like you find the clouds a bit of a bore. Have used some of the time I would be gazing looking up info about the stuff I have seen or want to see... keeps me pretty busy!

But at least we're in the season where it's light enough to see detail on the underside of the clouds :(

127 is a great start manofscience, it started the same way for me. Now I have a small fleet of accessories that (to me at least) constitutes a very slippery and expensive slope! A dew shield is an essential item, as is a power source of one kind, if you don't already have one, as the batteries don't last long.

Here's hoping the clouds shft soon :D

It has being generally clear today for me but what do you know, sunset time is coming and nothing but grey cloud has set in ;< I really want to set up and try out my new eyepieces that came today.

When I got my first real scope I spent hours of looking at things I knew, but zero time spent planning how to find the wow factor objects in the sky.

It will always be there, so take your time and pace yourself.... it will keep your interest in this great hobby....

N.

When I got my first real scope I spent hours of looking at things I knew, but zero time spent planning how to find the wow factor objects in the sky.

It will always be there, so take your time and pace yourself.... it will keep your interest in this great hobby....

N.

Like Venus lol but still waiting for a power but and need the next step from my 10mm like 8mm maybe for Venus.

A dew shield is an essential item, as is a power source of one kind, if you don't already have one, as the batteries don't last long.

Oh yes, already invested in a celestron power tank, dew shield is on order.

Just ordered a solar filter - wound be silly to miss the upcoming transit of venus!

Ah yes, I had been thinking of one of those myself :(

If its not too humid, you might get a couple of hours without a shield. Worst I've had it with the 6SE was bout 10 mins... now I'm trying to read the weather a bit better :D

Archived