NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mount for Celestron 20x80

Hi all,

I have recently bought a pair of 20x80 and want to get a mount to aid me when viewing. I have a reclining deck chair and was out last night viewing with them and its an amazing sight i was quite surprised. however I couldnt hold them rock steady and ended up more or less making myself seasick I think! Never realised how awesome stargazing is using both eyes!

I would like to get a mount I can use while reclined. I have found something called P mount but they all seem to be DIY, id like to buy a cheap one if they exist. Does anyone know a retailer?

Alternatively there is the monopod. how does this work while reclined? Also how would I attach a ball head to the Bins 1/4 inch thread?

Thanks

Never realised how awesome stargazing is using both eyes!
Welcome to the elite club! :(
I have found something called P mount but they all seem to be DIY, id like to buy a cheap one if they exist.
Please believe me, you really don't want a cheap one!
Does anyone know a retailer?
For your binocular:

Cheap: Orion Paragon (frustrating: insufficient degrees of freedom!)

Decent: UA T-Mount Light

Ideal: UA Unimount Light

Dream-on territory: Star Chair :D

Alternatively there is the monopod. how does this work while reclined?
IMO your binocular is too heavy for this; I don't think it would work at all satisfactorily.
Also how would I attach a ball head to the Bins 1/4 inch thread?
Assuming your binocular is like the other Celestron 20x80s I have seen and has the mounting bar between the barrels, the ball head will have a stud that screws into the sliding socket on the mounting bar.

The view through Bins is awesome though and viewing from a reclined position is also awesome.

Might look into a Bino-viewer for my scope. You can resolve so much more detail using both eyes. Possibly more than a bigger aperture with a single eye.

Do you have plans Michael? I am able to craft things myself given a reasonably good instruction. i was designing one in my head last night when I went to bed. I reckon I could knock something up but would be better against a plan.

My design was very much based on the second link given above. I went for just a two-bar construction to reduce bulk. This probably sacrifices some stability, but I am quite happy with it. What I also did was construct each of the bars by gluing two 12x27mm hardwood rods together into one 24x27mm one. This improves stiffness and prevents warping. I must draw up some proper plans and post them.

Yes, I sometimes use one with my 10x50; it is also usable with a 15x70, but I think you'd need a much sturdier one for a 20x80 (it's unsuitable for my heavier 15x70) and, even then, it might be inadequate. It's the 2nd picture down in the Monopods section on BinocularSky - Mounting Binoculars for Astronomy

mine extends out to 300mm. you can also get some more adjustement by shortening the neck strap. you will still need to sit in a reclined position to look up towards the zenith, but I find the device very handy, a big improvement over hand-held.

and for that price........

I ended up picking up this:

Professional Aluminium Tripod + Joystick Grip Ballhead | eBay

Pretty affordable for what you get. Im very pleased with it. It holds the weight of the 20x80 no problem at all. Rock steady.

Wish it was about 100mm higher but you can only need to crouch a little from 6 foot to see zenith.

I'll think about the neck pod. they are 8.99 now it seems.

Archived