NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New firmware for Synscan

Simms

Apologies if already posted, but it seems a new firmware has been released, looks like they have included the new method for polar alignment. On holiday at the moment but will be checking is out when I get home.

Update - looks like an official beta version so use at your own risk!

Downloaded it last week and flashed my handset already. Still waiting for a clear sky though. Some have already tried it and give good reports of the new feature. Although it may take a couple of goes to get a useable polar alignment for AP apparently.

• 2 months later...

So, is this new feature working well?

I just updated my firmware in my SynScan controller for the first time and I couldn't find any change logs or new documentation for it anywhere. What new key features have been implemented lately? I can't remember which version I had before this update, but must be something like 3.0? I remember reading somewhere about a synch-function, but haven't yet been able to find it.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the new firmware. And it works normally. Only, for me, the Polar alignment feature is useless. I am observing from a backyard with a limited FOV. The SynScan only gives you a couple of stars to choose from which I can't see from my position (behind trees, houses etc) It should been programmed differently, so that you could choose your own stars.

I tried the polar alignment feature and it seemed to work pretty good. I was only doing visual observations, but the GoTo was spot on after a three star alignment. I will pay attention to how my autoguiding graphs turn out next imaging session.

Downloaded it last week and flashed my handset already. Still waiting for a clear sky though. Some have already tried it and give good reports of the new feature. Although it may take a couple of goes to get a useable polar alignment for AP apparently.

Ian,

I have a HEQ 5 Pro. Could you enlarge on the way it is done for brain dead morons like me.

Alan.

I tried the new firmware. And it works normally. Only, for me, the Polar alignment feature is useless. I am observing from a backyard with a limited FOV. The SynScan only gives you a couple of stars to choose from which I can't see from my position (behind trees, houses etc) It should been programmed differently, so that you could choose your own stars.

Michael,

I agree with you. I have found many times that even when you can see the stars that the handset selects, center them and it then tells you alignment failed. It drive me up the wall.

Alan.

Yes, if things go wrong you need a boxing-ball outside sometimes..it can bring some utter frustration..

Especially a hothead like me..lol

it is a promising feature though. Maybe they will revise it to work better in a new firmware.

Archived