NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A bit of Saturn - 09.04

riklaunim

Saturn f/20 RGB, LRGB, RedLum-RGB; ~22:15 UT 09.04.2012:

sat-rgb.pngsat-lrgb.pngsat-redlumrgb.png

And comparison LRGB (bright) vs RedLumRGB (dark green): http://www.rkastrofoto.appspot.com/site_media/astro/orig/saturn-09-04-2012/anim.gif

Channels at f/20: L filter, Orange Baader longpass, Red Baader longpass, Baader IR Pass (30 ms exposure, 30 FPS; variable gain):

ch-lum-2214.pngch-orange-2229.pngch-redlum-2226.pngch-baaderirpass-2223.png

Baader IR pass was the darkest usable filter. ProPlanet 742 didn't gave high histogram fill at that exposure and full gain. As you can see IR pass is noisy (should be gausian blurred), while brighter channels are not - thanks to lower gain. As the wavelengths get shorted with L and Orange filters seeing also may kick in blurring some details. Also those two filters would be rather useless without a atmospheric dispersion corrector I used (for such planet altitude). 610 nm red longpass won that night giving best quality.

What's funny - L filter (IR/UV cut) will be darker than yellow and orange longpass filters (they kick out blue and add IR - which is brighter than blue).

Red Longpass 1,5x drizzled:

sat-drizzle.png

Is that "fog" a diffraction/airy ring of Saturn?

sat-drizzle-postdeconv.png

Saturn f/20 RGB, LRGB, RedLum-RGB; ~22:15 UT 09.04.2012:

sat-rgb.pngsat-lrgb.pngsat-redlumrgb.png

And comparison LRGB (bright) vs RedLumRGB (dark green): http://www.rkastrofoto.appspot.com/site_media/astro/orig/saturn-09-04-2012/anim.gif

Channels at f/20: L filter, Orange Baader longpass, Red Baader longpass, Baader IR Pass (30 ms exposure, 30 FPS; variable gain):

ch-lum-2214.pngch-orange-2229.pngch-redlum-2226.pngch-baaderirpass-2223.png

Baader IR pass was the darkest usable filter. ProPlanet 742 didn't gave high histogram fill at that exposure and full gain. As you can see IR pass is noisy (should be gausian blurred), while brighter channels are not - thanks to lower gain. As the wavelengths get shorted with L and Orange filters seeing also may kick in blurring some details. Also those two filters would be rather useless without a atmospheric dispersion corrector I used (for such planet altitude). 610 nm red longpass won that night giving best quality.

What's funny - L filter (IR/UV cut) will be darker than yellow and orange longpass filters (they kick out blue and add IR - which is brighter than blue).

Red Longpass 1,5x drizzled:

sat-drizzle.png

Is that "fog" a diffraction/airy ring of Saturn?

sat-drizzle-postdeconv.png

That doesnt look right at all, even under poor seeing i havent had seperation like that, i have on mars occassionally at really high powers, that almost looks like mis collimation. But i assume thats not the case. you sure you nailed focus, or scope was cooled enough ?

What ever way you look at it, its a optical or seeing problem, that is not a real ring of saturn, as such it shouldnt be there. its also on the back of the rings and on the the top of the planet, i suspect its a seeing problem. like the edge you have on venus, im not sure ? looks to me like its on the other images but is being hidden by the darker background seeing doesnt look great as can be seen by the straight RGB, its likely that

Archived