Starter Telescopes For Beginners Poll

Often, beginners ask about what kind, size, etc. scope to start with so I thought a poll taken part by established observers could help beginners out.

When answering these questions, please consider the following:

Portability

Transportability (to a dark sky site)

Cost (the most bang for the buck/pound)

Set up time

Driven mounts (for object tracking and future astrophotography)

Ease of use (in locating objects)

Storage capabilities

1. Size of telescope:

2-4"

4-6"

6-8"

8-10"

10"+

2. Type of telescope:

Refractor

Reflector

Dobsonian

Other (SCT, MAK, etc.)

3. Best type for both DSO and planetary objects:

Refractor

Reflector

Dobsonian

Other (SCT, MAK, etc.)

4. Type of mount:

Alt.

Eq.

Go To

5. Ease of use:

Refractor

Reflector

Dobsonian

Other (SCT, MAK, etc.)

6. Most economical type:

Refractor

Reflector

Dobsonian

Other (SCT, MAK, etc.)

Since a Dobsonian is a reflector do you mean a Newtonian on an EQ mount by reflector? Although I see that the mount is considered later. So both would be the same thing then.

Sorry but as this is an Astronomy Forum it looks bad if people don't know the difference. The term Dobsonian refers to the inexpensive wooden mount, not to the scope. that bit being a standard reflector.

Q2+Q3 have therefore one less option as Reflector=Dobsonian.

Been at it over a year now so I hope I qualify, done far more research than actual ownership and observing, but hope that counts for something.

1. Up to 8". With different types of scope offering different views, this question seems too ambiguous to me. What may be OK for one may not be enough for another, or too heavy for someone else, again depending on the type of scope. Can't imagine anyone buying a 10" Refractor as a first scope!

2. For an easy all-rounder, I would say Refractor. No collimation or bulky tubes to worry about, easy to store and transport.

3. SCT. My experience only, each person will have their own opinions on this I think! My SCT outperforms my Refractor on both type of object, but probably mainly because it is a lot bigger and of higher quality. Greatly depends on the length of the tube, an average size scope will be middle-ground, not excelling at one or the other.

4. EQ. Not really possible to do astrophotography on an Alt Az mount, most EQ mounts can have a motor drive fitted for simple tracking. Goto is an expensive luxury which most probably do not need to start out with. EQ will also aid in learning how the heavens move (relative to a fixed observing position) as the earth rotates. As ronin points out on another question, Goto is a technology that is added to a mount which can be EQ, Alt-Az, or even Dobsonian, and is not really a type of mount in itself.

5. Refractor, for sure. Virtually no problems with collimation, dew, or mirrors etc. Very short cool-down time too. Just sit it on a mount and away you go. Usually can easily be put in a hard case for storage and transport too.

6. Probably Reflector, according to most they give the biggest bang for the money and do not require additional investment in dew control like SCTs. A larger tube will require a large mount though, a short-tube Refractor may offer better wide-field views and be OK on a lesser mount.

Based on my answers, Refractor seems to come up a lot, however I went for an 8" SCT because it allowed me to get better views in a more compact tube, and an upgrade path for the mount and accessories. Fork-based SCTs do not allow such an easy mount upgrade option from what I know of them, an equivalent Refractor would be much larger than the SCT (in length at least). My point is that there is no single ideal beginner scope, it very much depends on the person's requirements which is why they should always do their research and ask questions before buying.

If money is no object, space is no object, weight is no object, then I would say the ideal beginner scope would be one that can be easily set up and be in use in the shortest amount of time, that is probably a long-tube Refractor on an EQ mount (which is approximately aligned North, no precise polar alignment is necessary for visual use).

It's an awfully difficult question! From my own experience I would say you need to own a scope before you can decide what scope you want (if that makes sense) I enjoy the thrill of the chase so a goto would have been a waste of money or would have taken some of the enjoyment out of astronomy for me.

But to answer the question I would recommend a 6"-8" dob

Hi,

First thing anyone should do is move to a country where cloudless nights are normal,

Q1, 4"-6" for a first timer I think its good for them to see saturns rings or Jupiter, If there's no wow facter on what they are seeing a newbie could soon be dissapointed.

Q2, 4" refractor 6" newtonian reflector due to cost for a newbie.

Q3, I have to say Reflector as I havent used any others with a large apperture.

Q4, Non goto EQ, it may be harder than a goto but you learn the skies. and if later on you want to you can upgrade the mount or buy better.

Q5, Dobsoian would be easier than an EQ but Refractors are easier due to no collimation not a straightforward answer.

Q6, Presuming that you have purchased the scope that you want I would say they are all as economical as each other. unless you mean do they need extras like dew shields etc...

Like has been said before many times, It isnt a straightforward purchase, If money were no object I suppose we'd all have NEQ6's or equivalent with 12" refractors (dont know if they make em) and an army of Pentax eyepieces at £250 each.

I think in all It's best for people to learn from those of us who have made mistakes and tell the story, and to ask, ask, ask then if possible visit an astro club, check out what people see and what they use.

Kev.

The typical first scopes tend to fall into these

Dob: 200P

newt: 150p eq3-2

frac: 90-120 on an EQ2 or 3 (or Alt Az)

Mak: 127

these are usually in the price point of most people looking to start who want something that isnt a hidden steaming poop. None of these scopes are really going to either break the bank or really disappoint. they should see you good for your first year and possibly much longer.

Archived