NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Portable scope

With my work I am constantly switching between town and home, light and dark. I am finding myself more in town these days and just need a little scope that I can quickly put up, get my fix and put away.

I have looked at the 130p heritage, 102 startravel az3 and skymax 127 syntrak while also considering sticking a skymax 90 on a home dob mount. There are some nice Orions but these are seriously over priced in the uk.

I was going to get the 130p heritage but read a damning review of the optics.

The sky is full of clouds and the children are full of chocolate, please help....

what was the review saying? i love my 130 heritage- granted i dont have a frame of referece, but is has been my faithful viewing partner for a good while now....i woul recommend it.....i have it flocked and insulated, so it may be a fight for you setting that up everytime, but its worth it to keep out that light/dew (i just keep mine set up)

rich

I also love my heritage 130p, its a great scope and the portability is also great. I recently brought it up to Scotland in a two seater with two peoples clothes for a week and two sets of golf clubs with no problem.

I find the optics good as well. I haven't not seen anything I was looking for. I don't have anything to compare it to but it still seems very good to me.

Sion

Man, this is almost like a religious affirmation.

yes, I love my 130p Flextube & I'm sure all the other owners will be along in a moment to join in as well. It is awesomely portable and the optics are probably better than you have a right to expect in a £140 scope.

I don't know which review you've been reading, but THIS is the review that sold it to me and I have to say, it has 100% lived up to expectations so far.

The skymax 127 is a very portable scope and quite a powerful scope in a small bundle!

Having owned one myself, I found the scope excellent. I didn't think much of the auto goto on it as I found I spent more time mucking about with it than using it. I'd get it as a Supatrack only as its cheaper.

This is only my experience of auto goto. I haven't used the Supatrack version.

Cheers

Carl

Doubt that you'd find a scope anywhere that is as "up and running" as quickly as the Heritage 130P. Sure the focuser is not as slick as a crayford, the finish not as "shiny" as others, but a 5 inch mirror in that little bundle.

Always regretted giving mine away when I got the 10" Dob. The 130P is a great grab and go piece of kit.

Chris

Hi there,

My grab & go is a ST120 on an az3, its a great compromise, bulletproof. Shrugs off snow, sand dog slobber, put in the roof box, boot, back seat. No collimation issues that you will have with the dob, no cooldown that you need with the mak.

A little bit of CA but can be alleviated if needed with a fringe killer filter.

Cheers

Archived