Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Getting into imaging

huwbellamy

Hi all,

I can't really afford to get into imaging but after seeing Zhgutas picture of M13 today I think I would like to dip my toe in. I have a C6R frac on a manual CG5 and a selection of eyepieces - some of which I don't need and could fund some imaging purchases. I notice there are things like toucams and others use DSLR's, not sure which way is best compromise between cost and image quality. What would be a basic but respectable level of kit to get me taking images of DSO's and planets.

I blame you all but mostly Zhgutas!

Please send me lots of help as by myself I make wild and unecessary purchases. Thanks, Huw :D

Webcams for Planets and Dslr / Long exposure Ccd for Dso's im afraid :D

For Planetery a hi frame capture is the accepted way to go but at the expense of exposure so bright objects only.

Dso needs long exposure and subs to capture the faintness

Personally i use a toucam on planets and a Atik 16 (mono) for Dso.

Imo i would go for the webcam option first and cut my teeth on Planets/moon before moving onto Dso's

Thanks all,

I haven't got a DSLR. I'll have to go back to basics here and ask what subs are? In the case of webcams a laptop is needed I guess or can you wireless it to a PC - sorry if this sounds stupid. Does hi frame capture refer to lots of single images added together? - if so can you get any capture any DSO images at all?

Wondering whether it's less expensive to invest in webcam and laptop or a DSLR - which route is likely to carry the higher price tag? I suppose there are used items out there either way and it's the DSO's I fancy if I'm honest. In addition to my above questions can anyone recommend a DLSR or CCD set up for DSO's.

Are there any useful resources for astroimaging to help a beginner - I like it here but I'm conscious that I'm asking a lot of possibly inane questions?

Thanks, Huw.

hich route is likely to carry the higher price tag? I suppose there are used items out there either way and it's the DSO's I fancy if I'm honest. In addition to my above questions can anyone recommend a DLSR or CCD set up for DSO's.

Based on the above ..Then i would have to say.. Go down the DSLR route..There are some bargains out there at the moment..They are stand alone and obviously have other uses..

Fantastic DSO, widefield and solar with a DSLR... :D

I blame you all but mostly Zhgutas!

I'll take it as a compliment then... :? With your setup, Huw, I have no doubt you could get marvellous images.! I'd go for a DSLR if you're interested in DSO. It is actually the all rounder in the sense u can use it as a normal photocam (and very good one indeed). thay are a bit pricy however, but so are decent CCD's. The other option, is, on the other hand, to buy only DSLR body, if you are not interested in using it as a normal everyday photocam.That would cut the price in half ish. plus, you don't need a PC with you when using it, not like ccd's.

Marius

http://www.starparty.org.uk/

Kelling Heath in September

Just to put another downer in there.

If you want to go Dso hunting you may also have to consider a motor for your mount to be able to track to Dso around the sky.Its amazing how much the sky moves in say 30 secs. :D

Subs are single images that are then stacked together to provide a better final image.ie 10x30 secs would equate to 1x300 exposure.

Marius - it is a complement. I felt how chuffed you were with that image (justifiably) and thats what got me thinking. I've been looking at M13 at every available observing session and I'd love to be able to have a souvenir of these few and far between moments.

Greg and Kai, Kelling sounds great judging by the link - I'll have to check my availability with work and family. I had forgotten the need for motorised tracking - is it just RA that needs it for imaging? Thanks for the subs explanation - I was guessing it might mean that but wasn't sure.

Any recommendations for a worthwhile DSLR - used or new? Do I need to buy software to process DSLR images or am I sorted with motorised tracking, camera and free software?

Brill help tonight, thanks, Huw. :D

Photoshop is probably the standard..There are others but PS is probably the best..

Deepsky stacker and Registax are very good and both free..

I get away with an RA driven scope for lunar and solar, nice bright objects. Any more than that and you'd be asking a bit much..

Hi Kai,

I am going to get an adaptor for my neighbours DSLR as he's offered to lend it to me previously and see how I get on. I like the idea of a DSLR as planets aren't always high enough to see from my garden and theres something magical about DSO's. Thanks, Huw.

Archived