Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Charging a power tank with solar power

Hi.

I have a Sky-Watcher 17Ah Power Tank which I currently charge from the mains.

I'm wondering whether it is possible to charge it using a solar trickle charger instead. Has / does anyone currently do this and if so, what do you use?

I see Maplins sell trickle chargers but these are terminating in either a male cigarette lighter adaptor or crocodile clips. Can I use either of these to charge the Power Tank or not? Do I need another piecce of kit to connect the two?

I'd really appreciate advice from anyone that currently uses a similar set up.

Many thanks.

Thanks.

How do you connect the two?

May seem a silly question but the Power Tank manual only makes reference to charging using the socket at the rear of the unit.

I want to make sure that I can charge this without using this socket as the connection on the solar chargers is a different fitting.

I use a pair of Maplin 17Ah batteries which I charge using an intelligent charger. This doesn't overvolt the batteries, cuts out when the batteries are fully charged and charges again when the voltage has slowly dropped over weeks, i.e. the charger is left connected all the time. I guess it isn't using free sunshine but it is worth looking after batteries because they cost so much in the first place, even "cheap" Maplin ones. The intelligent charger was about £35.

post-35291-133877759843_thumb.jpg

Have my solar charger in an upstairs bedroom window, happily charges my power tank even on a cloudy day, unplug and use the tank at least once a month :). Just an afterthought, I took the back off my power tank and installed it in a flight case with charging port and a number of outlet ports, photos in my Equipment link below.

Jim

Very impressive set up you have there, but I'm still uncertain how I could connect a solar charger to the Power Tank without the skills that you clearly have.

Is there an easier way that I could connect the two?

Have sent you a message with some explanation, it will mean doing some cutting off of plugs and splicing, just make sure you continue the correct polarity. You can do all this without going to the lengths I have, just solar panel to power tank.

Jim

Archived