Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

LUNT Solar Wedge 1.25"

LUNT Solar Wedge 1.25"

After having sold a lot of my solar observing kit earlier this year to raise money for more urgent matters I'm putting together some new equipment now, although trying to keep it within a budget. Hence the purchase of this 1.25" Lunt solar wedge (on sale) instead of the Baader 2" wedge.

The wedge comes without the necessary ND3 filter (why not include a necessary part with it :)) so I bought a Baader ND3 filter along with a Baader solar continuum filter. I already had an A&E polarising filter. Rather than having to move the filters to a new eyepiece whenever I wanted to make a change I fitted them to an Opticstar 1.25" eyepiece extension which is left permanently in the wedge. A parfocal ring was used on the extension to stop the filter stack hitting the bottom of the wedges eyepiece holder. With the extension left just loose enough to rotate brightness can be adjusted to the right level by rotating the extension. I consider the polarising filter a necessity. As the wedge requires quite a bit of out-focus the added length of the extension the top causes no problems and there's plenty of in-focus travel left. I'm using the Telescope Service HR Planetary Zoom with it (same as the Lunt zoom). Quite a small and light zoom, but every bit as good as a Baader zoom for white light or Ha solar observing with a more useful focal length range and about half the size and weight.

So now the important bit........how well does it perform? Having had the Baader wedge as well as the Baader film it gives me something to compare it with. I'd say performance wise it's about half way in-between the Baader film and the Baader wedge. Contrast and sharpness is excellent overall, and it's only because I've used the Baader wedge that I wouldn't give it 10 out of 10 so it's just a 9 out of 10. :)

So I'm very pleased with the Lunt wedge and Zenithstar 80FD with Manfrotto 405 geared head (modded) and Manfrotto 475 geared tripod set-up. Light and portable but delivers great views.

John

post-14522-133877758969_thumb.jpg

post-14522-133877758975_thumb.jpg

post-14522-13387775898_thumb.jpg

post-14522-133877758985_thumb.jpg

post-14522-133877758992_thumb.jpg

I couldn't help but notice the "on sale" bit! :) So, where are they on sale and how much, John?

Ant

It was from APM's eBay shop in the German section (thank goodness for Google translate) about a month ago. They had the "Offer" option and I got it for £116.00 delivered. :)

John

Ooh, very nice price. Don't suppose they'll have any left now...

APM still has them in their eBay shop, but the price has gone up a bit, but with an offer of 10% off you should be able to get it for about £132.00 delivered (or maybe a bit better depending on the exchange rate).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APM-LUNT-Sonnenprisma-Herschelkeil-1-25-/150776565390?pt=DE_Teleskop_Zubeh%C3%B6r_Filter&hash=item231afbce8e

John

• 5 months later...

My Lunt Hershel wedge 1 1/4 inch turned up today from the australian supplier ( Bintel ) , complete with ND filter , I have a polarising filter that I already own so it's no problem , but I got home tonight at 5.30pm , run inside , grab'd my 12.5mm ED eyepiece with polarising filter , Takahashi FS60C scope and caught the sun before it got to low down .. WOAW !!! .

Over the years I have had 1000 oaks glass filters , Baader solar film and Kendrik solar filters but nothing prepaired me for this , weather it is the beautiful Flourite in the Tak FS60C , or the Lunt Wedge , the view was so crisp , and the turning of the eyepiece to tune the light imput thru the polarising filter was awsome .

I will post photos and a more detailed review on my thread ' New Takahashi Sky90 arrives ' in readers scope reviews section here soon .

Like the sun was at about 15 degrees off the western horizon and it was still the best I have ever seen , cant wait until better seeing conditions ..

Stay tuned to my Tak thread .

Brian.

Archived