NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Old Kit - New starter!

Hi all,

I am looking to get into Astrophotography - I have a keen interest in the Universe and am fairly well up with technology. However this does not cover telescopes or cameras unfortunately.

I have a 1989 Tasco 49TE telescope (320x60mm // 64x, 128x, 160x) and a Fujifilm Finepix S5700 digital camera.

The camera is pathetically poor by today's standards as even my mobile phone has a better Megapixel count.

With the kit that I have available, what is of use if I choose to proceed down the astrophotography path?

Although I sometimes do botch jobs myself, I do favour OEM/factory fitting parts!

I have no issue with purchasing a new scope or camera, but it has to be affordable and suitable for a novice like me! :icon_salut:

Many thanks in advance,

V6

The camera should be fine, it's the telescope that may give you issues being such a small aperture. You may get Lunar images. Most imaging scopes are 80mm and above since the need for gathering light is pivitol to imaging.

Hi & welcome to the forum

Before splashing out any cash on upgrading your gear....have a read of 'Making Every Photon Count' it'll save a lot of headaches & probably some cash

The mount is generally considered to be THE most important part of an AP setup. Without a good solid mount base, then any camera and telecsope will be useless. The general thought is that the minimum mount required is an HEQ5. Although saying that there are some threads about budget AP and people do it on much less.

I'm all for making life as simple as possible in this hobby. It is hard enough as it is. Definitely recommend 'Making Every Photon count' - You can get it from FLO in their book section.

Archived