Skymax 127 + EQ5 coming!!

Hi all

I have the above coming v v soon.

Is there any good guides or links anyone knows i can go too so i can get learning ???

Kit i will have:

Skymax 127

EQ5 Mount - non GOTO (i know, but i like to challenge myself)

10 + 25mm Eypieces (supplied)

Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1 + SkEye & Google Sky

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul, nice 1 on the set up, loads up there to see. Depends on how dark your sky is, I live in the west mids - really poor skies - I try for dso's around mag 9.0 - I know, not a lot up there that bright - but that's light pollution for you. Going from memory - Ursa Major - m81/82, m97 (uhc filter needed to detect) ngc 6543 - draco, m65/66 - Leo, canes venatici - m63, m3, there's a starter for you.

These little scopes are great on the moon/planets, Mars, Saturn these are a must - need a filter on Mars - maybe a Neodymium - not got one of these yet, I use a variable polarising filter - but been looking at the light response curves for different filters on the net and found that if you haven't got a neo - try a uhc s or a uv/ir blocking filter if you have them - the spectrum lines look very similar - you may get a difference in colour though, but the contrast should be there for detail - heres the site for the filter comparison

Astronomical filter curves

There's a little starter for you - trust me these scopes are great - I've used a few and for their size they are fantastic - but need filters on Mars though.

Enjoy your new scope and let us know how you get on with it - Cheers Paul.

Wow the mount is huge!

Goto aswell nice, i wish haha

The mount came with my Explorer 200P which now resides on an HEQ5 pro in the observatory. I picked up the 127 Mak from a fellow SGL member before the forsale section was closed by the admin team, and used this for the odd occasion I need to use a grab and go set up.

The EQ5 is quite a sturdy mount... you'll be pleased on how it performs, and how stable a platform it makes for the 127 Mak

Archived