Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wanted! A few more lumens.

Over the dark months I have imaged a number of nebulae and the odd galaxy and overall content with this first season. The 80mm WO is fine with the big nebs but Whirlpool, Crab and similar petite faint desirables stretch it to the limit. The 80mm just hasn't the "bottle".

Cost is of limited magnitude and thus a 130mm WO or Takahashi frac don't appear above my horizon. Weight is also a factor ref my HEQ5 and my pathetic ancient physique.

Thus, a Newt like 8" SW Quattro, Alt Astro 8" f4, or maybe a SW 200PDS. But what do I know?

What scope would be better for the fuzzies M1, M51 etc. at a reasonable price and size.

The 200PDS will give a larger image since it is 1000mm focal length and is less reliant on precise collimation compared to the f/4 newts. Unless you want a scope which is more or less strictly for imaging and needs to have precise collimation as well as a coma corrector, the 200PDS will need a coma corrector as well but will be less evident than the f/4's.

You can compare the scopes focal lengths with the FOV calculator Field of view Calculator<script src="title2.js"></script>

It's up to your personal preference at the end of the day, do you want a fast photon grabber newt needing a fair bit of maintenance or do you want a slightly larger image with less maintenance work and a cheaper price?

Many thanks for your input. Appreciated.

I hadn't considered collimation mainly because I have never used a reflecting scope. The f5/1000/200 seems a fair compromise plus its focuser. I had assumed a coma corrector. From 12Ds calcs it looks to be that my fov would be 25% of what it is now. Interesting. I'll need to tighten up by target acquisition methinks.

I will ponder this further but it seems I am nearly there.

Archived