Possibly for the thousandth time

Hi, I'm totally new to this astronomy lark. I've read bits and pieces and have always been fascinated by the skies.

I currently have a pair of Vanguard ZF-104050 binoculars which I've had a little success with the moon from. However I am wanting to expand my possibilities and have been thinking of getting a telescope.

The one I've been thinking of is the Skywatcher Explorer 130p as I've not really seen a bad review for it. (However will this be too complicated for a newbie?)

Others I've considered are...

Skywatcher Skyhawk1145p

Skywatcher Evostar 90

Skywatcher Capricorn 70

Lastly Celestron Astromaster 70eq or 130MD

Can anyone please give any assistance?

Cheers

Joe

:icon_salut:

nothing wrong with the 130- and its a great beginner scope- and will not need upgraded too soon

the main 4 questions you need to ask are

do i want a reflector or refractor

do i want a dobsonion (i.e up down/360 swivel) mount, or a proper eq mount

do i want goto tracking

do i intend to take up astro photography

my opinion is that a dobsonion reflector scope is best- you get the most power for your money and theyre simplest

rich

Thanks Rich,

I have just been looking a Dobsonian's "Skywatcher 150" in particular and for only £30 more this may be my choice.

I'm not too fussed about photography for now, just want to get into observing the skies for my own pleasure.

Don't want goto tracking as I want to learn rather than be guided by technology.

Not too sure if a reflector or refractor is best really.

Before I buy I'm going to have a chat with the man in the local shop aswell but want to at least have an idea of what I'm looking for when I go in.

Cheers

sounds like a dobsonian reflector is the way to go- refractors dont give anywhere near the power for money, and you have the same ideas as me on how to skywatch the old fashioned way (though goto has its place (dont want to tick off other memebers haha))

that skywatcher dob is great, either the 130p like i have, the 150, 200, or 300 (though they obviously get bigger as you go higher....till theyre like petrol tankers by the end of it)

so yeah 150 skywatcher sounds great

rich

While you may not want a GoTo so your going to learn the night sky, thats a good plan, you may still require something that will track the DSO/Planet ect, that's something to think about, have a cup of tea and when your finished the object is still in the FOV..???

Thanks Rich,

I have just been looking a Dobsonian's "Skywatcher 150" in particular and for only £30 more this may be my choice.

This would be my choice too. The stability and ease of use of the Dob mount is a great benefit.

Regards Steve

I would support the Skywatcher 150 Dob. A friend of mine used one as his only scope for years. He did have a couple of Pentax eps that he used with it, but he showed me the best view of Jupiter I've ever had with that scope.

+1 for the Dob

easy to set up, easy to transport, easy to store and easy to customise. There are GOTO Dobs but they are not cheap to begin with but to get yourself in the right area of sky you could make your own Push to System for less than £30.

I'm biased but coming from the same start position as yourself I don't have any regrets getting a Dob and would definitely go down that route again.

good luck with whatever you decide

Steve

Archived