EQ 3-2 with heritage 130p

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this setup and if it would a good starter for imaging? I know people say the heq5 a minimum but I wouldn't be able to afford that.

Thanks for any answers

Sion

Hi Sion,

What do you want to image? Planets or deep space objects?

Should be fine for planets "as is" but you will need to add motor drives for anything else, the EQ3-2 is said to be a minimum for imaging, but of course we all really want a EQ6!

There are some fab images taken on this mount, search for budget images on SGL.

J

I've just sold my EQ3-2 and upgraded to a CG-5. Because I could!

The EQ3-2 was good & steady once it settled down, but it did tend to vibrate for about 15 seconds after every touch! (change of EPs, focusing, adjustment of the mount etc).

The mount itself is fine. The aluminium tripod seems to be the problem. Adding weight (two bricks on the eyepiece shelf) did help a lot, but yes, I'd say it was probably the minimum acceptable tripod/mount setup for imaging.

I got the EQ3-2 with a SW 150P Newtonian from FLO as a kit. I'm actually wondering if that scope wasn't really a bit too much for the EQ3-2 to manage.

I bought my EQ3-2 with a wooden tripod, and have found it very stable, except when I accidentally kick the leg of the tripod. :icon_salut: I built a tall wooden tripod for my refractor, and find it very steady, too. IIt doesn't vibrate more than a second or two after banging it.

If you are on a budget, then you should consider AP using camera lens rather than telescope. Camera lenses are shorter and faster, so they are less demanding on the mount.

You should look for a used GP/EQ5 instead of a EQ3-2 if you want to do some basic imaging. They are between £120 to £200, depending on accessories.

The EQ3-2 can be beefed up by filling the tripod legs with sand.

Mine became acceptable for basic DSO imaging as soon as I did that.

Before the mod it was reasonable on planetary but godawful for DSOs.

A 130P on it would be absolutely fine, you'd learn all the skills of imaging and could upgrade later if you liked it.

Dare I ask what type of imaging did you have in mind ?

I own a Heritage 130p and, in my experience, any type of imaging is going to present some interesting challenges, apart from piggy-backing a camera on the tube-rings maybe.

This is mainly due to the fixed plastic and metal helical focusser, which probably won't take the weight of anything more than a webcam.

Hi,

If you're just thinking of planetary imaging and want to track the planets then have a think about making a equatorial platform.

the heritage is small and light so construction strength is less of an issue. I found this site when doing some research for an equatorial platform for a heritage

Kitchen Timer Mini Equatorial Trackers

got to be cheaper than an eq mount!

Hi,

If you're just thinking of planetary imaging and want to track the planets then have a think about making a equatorial platform.

the heritage is small and light so construction strength is less of an issue. I found this site when doing some research for an equatorial platform for a heritage

Kitchen Timer Mini Equatorial Trackers

got to be cheaper than an eq mount!

This is brilliant

The Celestron Neximage is fine but very expensive for a webcam. The Phillips SPC880 is a lot cheaper and uses the same chip. It can be purchased ready flashed to SPC900 for around £40 last time I looked - significant saving and currently the most popular webcam in the astro community. Check it out here:

Buy Philips Pre flashed SPC880 CCD webcam bundle at Morgan Computers

Hope that helps :icon_salut:

The Celestron Neximage is fine but very expensive for a webcam. The Phillips SPC880 is a lot cheaper and uses the same chip. It can be purchased ready flashed to SPC900 for around £40 last time I looked - significant saving and currently the most popular webcam in the astro community. Check it out here:

Buy Philips Pre flashed SPC880 CCD webcam bundle at Morgan Computers

Hope that helps :icon_salut:

I have been looking at those but they rarely seem to be in stock. I have also noticed in the forums that an xbox live cam is popular, I have one at home and was wondering if it was worth modding or should I just buy a camera specifically for astronomy?

Archived