After I have tightened and locked down every conceivable screw, bolt & fingerscrew why does the whole telescope shake the second I breathe on the focus tube. Advice and or suggestions greatfully received. I thank you.:icon_salut:

I'd guess it's something along the lines of an EQ1 or EQ2.

Hanging some weight from the tripod head may help. I don't use the eyepiece trays on mine, so I put a couple of big stones in it. Some people have said that filling the legs with sand also helps, or replacing the legs altogether with ones made of wood.

James

I think the tripod is probably the place to start. The legs are fairly springy on all of the lower end mounts and adding some weight somewhere is an easy first step. The "final solution" is an electric focuser, but with the 130EQ that's probably a bodge-it-yourself step.

Keeping the legs short may also be helpful -- for example, lowering the scope and sitting on a chair or stool for viewing rather than standing. That may also help because your body will be more steady when you're adjusting the focuser. Considering we're designed for standing up, we're surprisingly wobbly when we do.

James

Archived