2" eyepeice for a 200mm dob

is it worth investing in 2" eye pieces for nice wide field stuff?

i was thinking 30-45mm eye pieces, seen a nice revelation 42mm second hand for quite cheap

im still using the stock 1.25 10mm and 25mm that came with my scope

would the general consensus this would be a good step forward?

maybe look at a 2" barlow aswell

i understand for high power stuff 1.25 still rule and ill look at investing in some higher quality ones. i just think for star hopping, a wide field will help

any advise will be appreciated

thanks in advance

It certainly is worth it. It's worth spending a fairly decent amount on too, cheaper ones will vary in quality, producing "pincushion" effects and seagull shaped stars as you move away from the center of the view. It's not so bad at first but trust me it gets annoying real quick.

Minimum i'd go for is a panaview or WO SWAN, about £80. But for a REALLY nice view, you can go with the hyperion aspheric (absolutely amazing), or a skywatcher aero ED, each about £130 but worth every penny.

I wouldn't go too much over 32-35mm though, otherwise you might start getting issues with exit pupil and the shadow of the secondary will start to creep into view.

Personally, i'd recommend the 31mm aspheric, but i haven't tried an Aero or SWAN.

your scope is f6 so would be better sticking to 35mm or below as otherwise the large exit pupil may result in a washed out sky.

otherwise yes, I agree it's a good move. I don't think it's worth getting a 2" barlow; a decent 1.25" one would be a better buy in my opinion.

Archived