Good advice

A few months ago I bought a SW 200p. I never expected giant size images to appear in the eyepiece, but I have to say that I was somewhat disappointed with what I was viewing. Everybody on this site seemed to be so excited about what they could see, so I posted lots of questions about upgrades and better eyepieces etc. But everybody kept telling me to start with collimation. Having just bought it, I was happy believing that everything would be spot on. It had to be...it was brand new.

Eventually, I got fed up with looking at dull circles in the sky that were supposed to be fascinating planets to look at. The moon looked ok, but just ok. So I boxed the scope up.

Few days ago, I got the scope back out, because I just couldn't resist trying again to see if views were better now the weather has got better. And the night sky fascinates me, so I tried once more. But still, poor viewing. So I twiddled a few screws here and there...and really messed up the secondary mirror. But I remember the advice I was given on this site and took my time and finally got similar mirror images to those I was given links too.

Tonight, although cloudy and cold, I got my scope out and didn't even let it cool down.............I was amazed at the difference that the collimating did. I first tried it on Venus. Once just a bright blur, I could now see the shape, although no detail but apparently thats normal. But I was pleased. Then Jupiter. It was still quite light, but even with the cheapy 10mm eyepiece that came with the scope I could see good detail. I have been complaining how poor quality this 10mm eyepiece was but now it didnt seem poor quality at all.

It was starting to get darker, so I tried Mars. And for the first time Mars actually looked like a planet through my scope. Still a bit of work to do here, but still pleased.

But when I looked at the moon, i couldn't believe how good this looked. Unbelievable. I ran to get my camera, but sods law, the battery was flat. Another day perhaps; next time I need to be better prepared!

So what's the message here? Well, lots of beginners on this site, just like myself. I have learnt that if you ask a question and get lots of advice, chances are they know what they are talking about. And if I had listen way back, perhaps by know I would be so much more clued up than I am now.

Can I thank all those of you who have answered my questions previously...I should have listened and not tried to think I know better. And I hope that perhaps one day I too can pass on advice that will help somebody make better use of their new purchase. :-)

Keep up the good work....Daedalus

excellent mate,

i was lucky in that after using bin's i knew what i should be seeing and my dob seemed ok collomation wise but i imagine 95% of people would give up, pack the scope away and that would be that, hope your viewing continues to improve [remember there's a big world out there and an even bigger universe:)]

I've got the same scope , probably had it 6 weeks or so now and haven't collimated or even bought a collimator yet and have been wondering if I should or not , I will get one but at the mo a star test is as it should be and the planets are as you described after collimation , so I guess I've been lucky and the collimator can wait till fathers day . Thanks for letting me know what a poorly collimated scope is like. ;).

I had exactly the same thoughts as you, that surely I should be seeing better than I was. I also came to the same conclusion, and collimated two days ago. Sadly the seeing hasn't been good enought to try it out. I'm glad I wasn't alone and thanks for the encouragement to go on!

Rob

Archived