My new 200p dob

Finally got a 200p classic after a nightmare trying to make up my mind between this, a 200p eq5 and a 250px dob.

I set the whole thing up in about 30 mins and found it very simple and did not need help. The general build quality is very good and all the parts and bolts fitted perfect!

Although a hazey night I got some amazing views of the moon that blew me away. I could see a shadow on Venus and some beaytiful colour in Jupiter even in fairly bright twighlight.

If like me you are struggling with choice this one will not disapoint! For how much cheaper it is than the others I am so glad I went for this scope.

At high magnification Jupiter was moving out of view fairly quickly but was fun and easy to follow.

I would suggest if someone is buying one before seeing it they should make sure they do first as it is massive! And appears much bigger when in your house rather than a field.

I would rate the scope 9 out of 10. The only reason I dont give it a 10 is because the 10mm eyepiece is a little poor and you do need to replace it at some stage.

I would cetainly reccomend it and would advise waiting!

post-34175-133877756092_thumb.jpg

If anyone wants to ask anything please do

Thanks,

I have had mine for a month now. I think my wife is just about getting used to its size now. This is my first scope so I have nothing to compare with, but I am delighted with it so far.

I guarantee when you are not looking at the sky you will spend way too much time looking for eyepieces, filters, barlows etc etc...

Have fun.

I have the 200P Dobsonian too, and I agree with your every statement. Only thing I would add is that although it is a very big telescope, transportation doesn't seem to be a real issue at all. I set mine up outside at first, but then around 11pm I took it inside. Lifting the base and the telescope altogether is tedious work, but it is easier to take the telescope itself off and take that inside, and then take the base inside.

The 10mm eyepiece is definitely poor as well, but yes, this scope is excellent. I think we need to invest in some decent eyepieces now though.

Clear nights,

Scott

I agree with the portabilty. It fits in my Citroen C4 when seperated from the base with ease.

I have ordered an 8mm Vixen npl eyepiece. I will update this thread when I get it and try it out. My collaminator has just arrived so I'm going to have a play!

Just used my new Cheshire collomination tool. Never done this before, with the help of a youtube video of an Orion x8 being done I have managed it in about 20 mins. I feel now it would only take me a few minutes to adjust as I would know what to do! It appears as though I got it spot on too!

I would say even with some minor collamination I could be up qnd running in around 6 mins from the car to field. Maybe around 2 mins if the mirrors havent moved! (not including mirror cool down)

This means with limited time or with short gaps in our weather this scope really is ideal.

I agree, the scope is excellent value and easy to use , I'm so glad that I didn't get a tripod or something that needs batteries for my first scope. I find the eyepieces that came with it fine , I don't think they are any worse than my others - see sig. I don't like using the Barlow but its early days for me too and I am still swapping eyepieces constantly to find out what works when. It's a big scope too so much so that the wife wants it out of the house, I couldn't get to see it before I ordered and glad I didn't , it may have made me think about getting a smaller one. Cloudy here now so it's all your fault

I just tried my 200p out last night and was very pleased.I did a star test and the optics looked perfect but still got a cheshire on the way. But if it aint broke do i fix it??

Also i got great views of martian detail and our moon last night in the supplied 10mm , so i'm guessing an upgrade should blow me away!

Peter

I am also thrilled with this scope. It is big, but I also prefer to move it as a complete unit. If you are only going into the garden, then it is easy enough.

I bought a 6mm William Optics EP (tempted by 200x magnification!) and this is excellent. It is much more substantial than the supplied eyepieces, and has good eye relief. The planets do skip across at this magnification, but the scope just needs a nudge now and again.

I haven't dared collimate mine yet, as it appears to be spot on out of the box (using the out of focus star check).

As a newbie, I sometimes have trouble with the finder scope. For me, the magnification on this seems to be too much at times - if I am trying to find a particular star in Cassiopeia (to start star hopping) it can be hard to identify exactly which one I am looking at in the finder scope. I am sure it will get easier with practice.

Simon

I get my 7 year old to point a laser pen at the star I am looking for when I struggle with the finder! Lol

I wouldnt bother collominatint if its not needed. My secondary mirror was slightly out and the primary appeared fine with the star check but was out when I checked with the Cheshire.

As a newbie, I sometimes have trouble with the finder scope. For me, the magnification on this seems to be too much at times - if I am trying to find a particular star in Cassiopeia (to start star hopping) it can be hard to identify exactly which one I am looking at in the finder scope. I am sure it will get easier with practice.

Simon

When using your finder scope you will find it easier to keep both eyes open. Move the scope until the view through the finder coincides with the view through the other eye. Hope I have explained properly.

Good luck.

Archived