Hello first telescope. HELP please

Hello,

I am finally following something I enjoy. I've loved stars and the night sky for many years and I would really like to start learning costellations etc AND seeing stars, planets etc.

I'm a student so I am a super bargain hunter, so I'd probably say I am happy spending up £50 for now until it's student loan time :(.

Can someone recommend a telescope for me to start on? because from the sounds of it, I would only get annoyed with the weight of bins.

Thanks,

Suzy :(

Hi and welcome to SGL

Given your budget and your observing interests I would scout around for a 2nd-hand scope so Ebay, Astro Buy & Sell, supplier clearance lines, and your local astro society. The 'best' scope to buy for general observing would be a Newtonian reflector (braces for replies from refractor and compound scope owners). This design of scope gives you the biggest bang for your buck. I'm not sure what you could buy for your budget but look out for a pre-owned Skywatcher Skyhawk 114P (First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145P). Also worth looking at (and through) is the Heritage 76, this comes in on budget and is aimed at first-time scope users so is very simple to set up and use.

HTH!

I'd get a small pair of binoculars and start saving for at least a 5 inch reflector. You'll still use the binos even when you have a scope as they are uniquely useful for wide-angle, low power views and a very small telescope may dissapoint you on the planets. The binoculars don't have to be huge - even a pair of 8 X 40's can still show you a lot, are portable and as I said, will still always be useful for general viewing .

£50=some bins

You're unlikely to get a decent scope for that budget I'm afraid, so I would stick with getting some bins.

The great thing being when you can afford a scope the bins make the best compliment to any scope.

Regards Steve

I got some Celestron Skymaster bins recently. They were a little over your budget at £65, but are relatively cheap compared to a decent starter scope.

I would rather buy a decent set of bins for this price, than try to buy a telescope. Most likely a scope this cheap will not be worth the money.

Hi, Thats quite a limiting budget however I picked up my Skywatcher Explorer 130 off ebay about a year and a half ago for £80. Though I frequently see them for less now, it just depends where your location is and if one comes up local as most sellers request pickup. I found it to be an excellent starter scope. Relatively simple and certainly allows you to see Saturn and her rings, Jupiter and its moons (and maybe some surface detail on a good nights seeing) as well as a host of deep sky objects. Be prepared though, the objects don't appear as what you see in magazines but its still awe-inspiring to think about what you are actually seeing with your own eyes. Still, its certainly enough to whet your appetite and get you going :(

That said though I'd certainly second other peoples advice re the binoculars! Mine get used far more often than the scopes as its so easy to just pop out for a quick look and its surprising just how much you can see!

Archived