Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Explorer 200P OTA + EQ5 Mount Tracking hardware+software

roncam

Hi,

Im going to buy the Skywatcher Explorer 200P OTA + EQ5 Mount specifically for astrophotography either with a CCD or with a dslr. Can you please help me on what software and hardware do I need to build for tracking so I can astrophotography including auto focuser and any other hardware or circuitry to build please ?

thanks

ronald

I believe you will need the DS version in order to get focus with a DSLR. They have a shorter tube to bring prime focus a bit further out so that it will fall on the DSLR image sensor. And you will want an HEQ5 mount as minimum for AP with that size scope.

To be honest if you just want to play around a bit with ap then the 200 p on the eq5 would be fine

Just add the dual motors for tracking

However if you want to get into proper ap then you would need the 200pds and I would even go for the eq6 goto

This is the type of rig for real ap then you can start adding guide scopes and other bits

The mount can be hooked up to a pc and you can use stellarium to help with the goto and tracking

But have a look at quatermass's posts on using the 200p eq5 setup he has some astounding pics

Hope this helps

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have to agree with what the others have said regarding the mount, The EQ5 is a good mount but the HEQ5 or EQ6 are so much better for astrophotography, Having just upgraded from the EQ5 to the NEQ6 you can really see the difference in build and load capacity.

Archived