I have just bought a skywatcher explorer newtonian 130P EQ2 about 3 weeks ago and the instructions arent very clear how to polar align and use of dials can anyone help or advise somwhere i can get instructions on how to do this, :(, i have been out and viewed Jupiter, Venus and the moon and some stars. but i would like to use it properly by the dials etc

The dials on EQ2 the aren't really accurate at all - they'll only get you in a very rough area and are way too fiddly to use in the dark. The best way to use the scope is to align the finder with the main tube - do this in daylight on a church spire or pylon tip 1-2 miles distant.

Then point the mount north using a compass and set the latitude for your location as near as you can get it. Then without moving the mount - loosen the Dec and RA axes and swing the scope round to your object (using the finder yo locate it) and fasten the RA and Dec back up. You'll be able to track using the RA slo mo control (with odd tweaks in Dec).

Learn the seasonal movement of constellations using the center page pull outs from Sky at Night magazine. Use the constellation main stars as start points for star hopping to your object. Find out where the ecliptic is in your section of sky cos that's the path followed by planets.

A good book for finding your first objects is Turn Left at Orion. It tells you where stuff is, what to use to view it, how to find it, and a diagram of how it should look, Download Stellarium - it's free planetarium software - hope that helps :(

I agree with Brantuk, the dials (known as setting circles) are next to useless, don't bother wasting any time on them. Download Stellarium and use it to learn the sky and where objects are. You can then use the stars you can see in the sky, compared to what you see on Stellarium near your target to guide you to the target, this is called starhopping. Don't expect it to be easy and you won't always succeed, but its great fun getting there

...the dials (known as setting circles) are next to useless, don't bother wasting any time on them...

I can thoroughly get behind this statement following tonight's viewing session. The setting circles are hilarious. The tip of the pointer seems to cover about 3 degrees. Classic.

I have Stellarium which is really helpful and just waiting for Turn left at Orion which should be here tomorrow well i hoping been bored stupid tonight, so just going to look at some books and star charts etc x

I have to say i agree, i have the 130M and the setting circles are pointless in my opinion, good advice from all round on here, and great fun star hopping. I would do as advised , set you latitude and point roughly north to Polaris and then dont worry about the rest, just get an idea what is up there and where it is in relation to where your looking and have fun, but kind of make you think we should have gone for a Dob in the first place oh well!

Archived