NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Decisions...decisions!

I have the funds for a Celestron nexstar 5se, but heard the mounts aren't the best for astrophotography which is my goal, I understand I'm not going to be getting pictures of anything spectacular but I'll be happy with a few deep space/Moon/planets shots. But after reading many reviews, I understand the difference between the 4se and 5 se isn't that great, so now I'm thinking 6se, but its getting a tad pricey!

Basically my needs are a goto system, which doesnt take up too much room, I can use my DSLR with and gets better views than a beginners scope. Is there anything else out there that fits this bill other than the Celestron Nexstar line?

Thanks in advance :(

Hi McPhisto, what is your budget for the scope, as bare in mind, and depending what AP method you intend to do,you will need eyepieces, filters and a few our paraphanelia inc. a red light torch, eyepiece case would be good (maybe a Revelation eyepiece/filter set would be a good startpoint inc. the case), the camera and software (most can be free, see the AP part of the forums), a decent pc/laptop in your ar using a CCD camera, and an understanding other half!

Hi, I also am in need of a better mount as I currently have the EQ2 (very shaky and prone to vibrations on close ups) I researched a fair amount and from what I could see the majority were saying to have at least an EQ4 or higher assuming your wanting an EQ mount. The best option I found was a GOTO on a EQ5 around £400 but unsure of its stability when focusing or man handling the scope on close ups.

I went to my local telescope store and the guy was very helpful. He was against the Celestron 5se and put me more onto this... BK MAK 102 AZ SynScanGPS - Maksutov Cassegrains - Sky-Watcher Telescope - One and only official website for Sky-Watcher and Acuter products in Canada! Complete product inventory including product information, specs and retail prices. with a more solid legs setup but with only a 4" scope. What do you think of this? Is 4" enough to get me some cool pics?

Thanks for all your answers :(

EDIT: Sorry for the long link, posted from iPad.

Hi McPhisto, what is your budget for the scope, as bare in mind, and depending what AP method you intend to do,you will need eyepieces, filters and a few our paraphanelia inc. a red light torch, eyepiece case would be good (maybe a Revelation eyepiece/filter set would be a good startpoint inc. the case), the camera and software (most can be free, see the AP part of the forums), a decent pc/laptop in your ar using a CCD camera, and an understanding other half!

My budget is around $700ish. I already have a DSLR, pc, and expect to pick up eyepieces as I go along. Understanding half is ok at the mo. I said she can have a new fridge lol.

Skywatcher and Celestron are the same. They both come from a company called Synta.

The Skywatcher tripod is more solid and the hand controller database has over 42500 objects in it compared to the 4se having only about 4000.

Go for the Skywatcher 127 mak, an extra inch of aperture and under £400.

The only photography you will be able to do though is the moon and planets.

This is because of the long focal length if the scope, f11 I think, and the fact that it's an alt/az mount do no good for long exposure AP because of field rotation from the mount. You could also do planetary photography with a webcam.

For long exposure AP i.e. Deep Sky Objects (DSO) you will need a good, solid EQ mount like the Skywatcher HEQ5 synscan or above plus a scope with a shorter focal length like an f5 Newtonian or an ED refractor for wide field shots like an 80ED.

Skywatcher and Celestron are the same. They both come from a company called Synta.

The Skywatcher tripod is more solid and the hand controller database has over 42500 objects in it compared to the 4se having only about 4000.

Go for the Skywatcher 127 mak, an extra inch of aperture and under £400.

The only photography you will be able to do though is the moon and planets.

This is because of the long focal length if the scope, f11 I think, and the fact that it's an alt/az mount do no good for long exposure AP because of field rotation from the mount. You could also do planetary photography with a webcam.

For long exposure AP i.e. Deep Sky Objects (DSO) you will need a good, solid EQ mount like the Skywatcher HEQ5 synscan or above plus a scope with a shorter focal length like an f5 Newtonian or an ED refractor for wide field shots like an 80ED.

I'm getting a different mount for the price, but can't remember which one. The 127 takes the price up by nearly $200, which was out of my range. It's getting a bit confusing now. Lol

Lol, if you just want a great viewing scope with the occasional moon pic then go for the 102 mak.

If you're not worried about AP for a few years our until you went to spend lots then go for a big Dobsonian of around 8-10" st snot the same price as the mak

Lol, if you just want a great viewing scope with the occasional moon pic then go for the 102 mak.

If you're not worried about AP for a few years our until you went to spend lots then go for a big Dobsonian of around 8-10" st snot the same price as the mak

As I have a young kid, I'm looking for something more 'mobile' than the Dob. I'm slowly falling in the 127 Mak direction. May have to save a bit more though. :(

Visually there won't be much difference between the 102 & 127 that you'll notice looking through them.

If your in no hurry then go for the Skywatcher 127 but nobody had any in at the moment due to the Brian Cox effect and suppliers are waiting for the next lot to hit our shores.

Archived