NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First steps towards the Sombrero

derrickf

Inspired by QM's M104 image posted earlier this week I decided to try capturing it myself; I first imaged M104 back in the early 1990s when I first started imaging but have not returned to it because of all the issues associated with it being such a tree skimmer - I only have a window of about 90 minutes form my observatory when it is not obscured by trees etc.

Hopefully the weather will hold long enough for me to grab some colour subs during this week - it will have to be one colour per night.

I'm still getting to grips with collimating the Quattro 10CF and working out how to avoid focuser droop and shift with a heavy camera and filter wheel but I'm not too disappointed with the start I made last night.

The luminance data comprises 12 x 300s subs selfguided with an ST2000 + CFW10, Quattro 10CF and NEQ6 Pro.

post-17094-133877754942_thumb.jpg

This is my first Newtonian in nearly 20 years and the first time I have tried imaging with one. I guess I have been spoilt over the last few years using RCOS and Astrophysics kit where the mechanics of focusers etc. are as close to bullet proof as you can get - I collimated my RCOS scope about once every 18 months or so just to keep my hand in.

I think the optics of the Quattro are pretty good but it remains to be seen whether it can be made to give good performance overall due to some of the mechanical trade-offs; if not I suppose I'll have to stump up for a higher quality scope like your AG12 or an ASA newt.

Thanks QM,

yes it is a little beauty of a galaxy - just a pity it is so low in the sky for us which means we have to image it through much more of our soupy atmosphere. This makes it really difficult for us to pull any detail out of the dust lanes. If I manage to get on it again it will be interesting to see if I can resolve any of the globular clusters just outside the halo - I may not have enough focal length with the Quattro.

Hope you are feeling better.

Archived