Advice on accessories

Hi all,

Have a little money to spend on scope accessories, so would just like a few second opinions / advice.

I currently have:

Celestron, XLT 120mm Refractor with standard 25mm Celestron EP.

Omni CG-4 EQ mount, (with the steel tripod).

What I want for it are the following, prices are average:

Polar scope £35

CG4 Dual Axis motor drive £120

Baader Hyperion Clickstop Zoom 8-24mm Mark III EP £170

Baader Hyperion Zoom Barlow lens 2.25x £85

Skywatcher Dual Speed 2"/1.25" Crayford Focuser (if it fits the scope) £130

Dew Heater for the objective lens £20

Fringe filter £??

So, here is my thinking:

Polar scope:

Just because it would be nice!

Dual axis motor drive:

Will eventually do some imaging but for now it will assist with reach.

As the scope is quite long, I have trouble reaching the slow motion controls without keep changing which side I fit them to the mount.

I have heard that the EQ3-2 mount uses the same kit, yet is £30 cheaper. Is this correct? Adverts always seem to mention the “Precision drive correctors” on the Omni CG-4 kit, but never for the EQ3-2 kit, so could this be the difference, what is it and would it make much difference?

Baader Hyperion Clickstop Zoom 8-24mm Mark III EP:

Don’t think I can go wrong here, but any comments?

Baader Hyperion Zoom Barlow lens 2.25x:

Want a Barlow lens, but is this over the top or a good addition to the Hyperion Zoom?

Any other better suggestions or comments regarding Barlows?

Skywatcher Dual Speed 2"/1.25" Crayford Focuser:

The current focuser on my scope is appalling. When moving the focuser in/out the EP end moves up and down, in turn moving the view up/down, very annoying, but once in focus and tightened up, then don’t really need to re-focus. So, is it worth it to bother with a new focuser?

Fringe Filter:

No real idea what to look for here, so any advice on this would be useful.

Dew heater:

Will make this myself, buy the bits and power supply/controller for about £15 total.

So, sorry for the long winded message, but any comments or advice on any of the above will be appreciated.

Cheers

Martin

Ely_ellis

Can't talk about most of your shopping list 'cos I have never used them, but the Crayford Focuser is an outstanding piece of equipment. It is absolute quality. I've got one fitted on my Tal 100rs and focusing is always smooth and silky, even when loaded with relatively heavy EPs.

these are just my thoughts so make of them what you will.

1. i think if you want to dabble in ap then you'll need both polar scope and at least dual axis motor drive. motor drives on their own won't track properly without proper polar alignment. i'd get the polar scope first..

2. 8-24mm zoom. i'd love one of these but can't afford so i'll be buying individual e.p.s as and when i can afford

3. dual speed focuser, is it worth looking at a motor drive for the focuser you already have. i don't know. its just a thought.

4. filters and barlow. sorry, can't help there.

as i say this is just my opinion. hth.

Archived