Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finally tested the Delos 10mm!!

Tonight I had my first proper look through my new Delos 10mm.

I also had my first real chance to try out my Vixen 102s fluorite refractor, which I got last year.

To give them both a spin, I set up the Vixen early to give it time to cool down and I was determined to check this new EP out to see how it performed on the planets; mars and Jupiter in particular as they are easy targets tonight. I left the eps out to cool as well, just to be sure. The seeing was average from my light polluted site but I had high hopes that the Delos would come good.

Fisrt stop Jupiter. Spectaculer view even though the sky in the west was not quite dark yet. Seven bands visible and 3 moons but the red spot seemed to be pale and almost invisible at the edge of the planet to the west. I got some air turbulence probably due to the fact that I was viewing over roof tops.

Using the Delos plus a Celestron ultima 2x barlow gave me 184x mag. I felt that the Vixen could take more power. The only other ep I have with more magnification is my Pentax 6.5mm to 19.5mm zoom. I slipped the Pentax in to compare and with the Barlow I had a magnification of 283x at 6.5mm! Still seven bands but no more detail was to be had from the extra power, I can`t say that the view was breaking down as such, but still no more detail. So I switched back to the Delos and enjoyed the view until Jupiter disapeared behind next doors roof top.

Next I turned the scope to Mars which was due south and quite high by nine o`clock and in a darker sky. The Delos plus the barlow again gave me 184x mag. and the view was superb. Plenty of dark shading coming down on either side of the planet from the north polar cap. The view seemed to improve the longer I looked. I could also make out what looked like pale clouds to the south east of where the south polar cap would be. I`m not sure if the south polar cap is viewable at the moment, I don`t think so, so I put this pale feature down to clouds.

I decided to compare the Pentax again at 283x. I was really surprised by this ep. As a Zoom, the view should be inferior by all accounts but to my surprise the larger view of Mars in the Pentax seemed to hold out really well against the Delos. I didn`t get more detail just a slightly larger view but by the same token I didn`t loose anything either. Spent another hour watching Mars and can honestly say that the Delos is a keeper and should also perform really well on deep sky objects. Thats my next test for this ep.

To round up, I am really pleased with the Delos, it performs as I`d hoped for a premium EP, so comfortable to use. I`m also very very happy with my new Vixen 102s fluorite. This was the first real chance I`ve had to try it out properly and it`s living up to it`s reputation as one of the best 4" scopes out there. 283x mag is 70 times per inch of the primary lens, and in average seeing !! The big surprise however is the Pentax zoom. This ep compared well against The Delos and that`s something I didn`t expect.

Hope you enjoyed my mini review of the Delos 10mm.

Bob.

Nice review Bob, the Delos sounds like a real winner. I'm not really surprised the Pentax zoom compared well with the Delos. My only experience with Pentax ep's is my 10mm XW & I find it more than a match for the 8mm Ethos in all but fov. The Vixen 102s sounds like it can punch way above its weight also.

I would really like to find out how it looks through the cpc. Unfortunately that scope is boxed up in the attic and until I get the shed up and running it will have to stay there. I can carry the Vixen and it`s SP mount down a loft ladder and back up again after viewing but although tempted, I can`t do that with the CPC. Mores the pity!

I think this ep will be great on fuzzies.

Bob

Nice review Bob, the Delos sounds like a real winner. I'm not really surprised the Pentax zoom compared well with the Delos. My only experience with Pentax ep's is my 10mm XW & I find it more than a match for the 8mm Ethos in all but fov. The Vixen 102s sounds like it can punch way above its weight also.

I was quite surprised with the Pentax zoom. I would certainly like try a Pentax xw 8mm in my Vixen. It should perform even better than the zoom I would think. I got the Delos at a good price second hand and would be happy to buy a Pentax now, if one comes up.

Bob.

I`m over the moon with the Vixen. (excuse the pun)

Nice review. From the reviews I read about the Pentax XF zoom, it has very good centre field performance but suffers from in the outer field. The was a review a while ago where the XF zoom beat BGO on Ha solar. The difference may become visible when you use it for DSO and the moon.

After all, Pentax XF zoom is still a Pentax.

I was quite surprised with the Pentax zoom. I would certainly like try a Pentax xw 8mm in my Vixen. It should perform even better than the zoom I would think. I got the Delos at a good price second hand and would be happy to buy a Pentax now, if one comes up.

There is a XW 7mm and a 10mm on flea bay atm

Pentax SMC 7mm XW Eyepiece | eBay

Pentax SMC 10mm XW Eyepiece | eBay

I seen those two earlier. I think the seller may have set the starting price a bit high to generate any real interest. £175 I would think would be top book price for mint condition and boxed parts.

I seen those two earlier. I think the seller may have set the starting price a bit high to generate any real interest. £175 I would think would be top book price for mint condition and boxed parts.

Indeed, I doubt anyone will bid on it at that price. It will probably end with 0 or 1 bid which will be the final price.

I had a similar experience with an eyepiece I recently purchased on fleabay. The starting bid was what you'd expect to be the normal used price and no one was interested. It was too late when he finally reduced the starting price on the last day of the auction. I ended up being the only one to bid and only because I saw the price drop in the last hour of the auction. If he started with the lower price, he could have generated much more interest and the eyepiece would have sold for much more.

I had a similar experience with my 26mm Nagler. The seller listed it with the start bid set too high and the item subsequently went unsold. I emailed him that evening with a fair offer & the following morning he replied that he had resisted it with a Buy It Now just for me :(

Top bloke.

I had a similar experience with my 26mm Nagler. The seller listed it with the start bid set too high and the item subsequently went unsold. I emailed him that evening with a fair offer & the following morning he replied that he had resisted it with a Buy It Now just for me :)

Top bloke.

Very decent, and considering that he would have to pay e.bay's sellers fee, a little baffling :(

Perhaps he felt more secure that way though :(

Archived